View Single Post
Old 01-03-2023, 12:07 AM   #25
DM72C20

Re: Borgeson Steering Box

In my 72 C20 with a LS swap, I'm on my 3rd steering box in less than a year, with a Cardone that blew a seal and two locally rebuilt units including the original from the truck that have way too much play when driving straight. I can turn the wheel several inches before it responds, which is challenging when on the highway since you are always correcting. Adjusting the lash just makes it harder to steer which I had the rebuilder try. I spoke with someone at Redhead and they said that they replace the bearings in their rebuilds, sizing them to fit the worm gear wear to eliminate that. The alignment seems ok from a test drive with a competent mechanic, and he said all the rebuilt boxes are trash, which I am in agreement with. I am thinking I order the new Borgeson and be done with it for the next few decades.

Can anyone with a non Borgeson rag joint chime in about the input shaft fit? I have a new Lares 201 rag joint, which says 13/16", 31 spline. It is meant as a stock replacement for the 72' C20 and bolted right on to the stock box. The Borgeson says it needs 3/4", 30 spline but I am seeing some people say it bolted right in...
DM72C20 is offline   Reply With Quote