View Single Post
Old 04-08-2018, 04:44 PM   #48
Aberdare

Re: 1963 GMC Step-Van 7

Due to the extensive amount of rust and corrosion from the belt-line down, the entire body will require re-fabrication and re-construction. I have decided to fabricate new body side panel frames from scratch. I will salvage and re-use the main upper header, in addition to the entire roof, windshield framing, rear door header section, and forward body supports, then fabricate as required using the original body for all measurements. The recently fabricated forward floor sub-frame and cargo bed will give me a solid base to work from.

The forward floor sub-frame was already custom fabricated from 3 x 1 x 0.125 HSS and 2 x 2 x 0.125 HSS. The new side panel body framing will be constructed from 2 x 0.5 x 0.128 HSS, 2 x 1 x 0.128 HSS, 3 x 1 x 0.128 HSS, and 2 x 2 angle, then bolted to both the forward sub-frame and the rear cargo bed utilizing custom fabricated brackets, in addition to carriage bolts with shouldered locking nuts. I will fabricate new doors from scratch to fit the new body side panel frames, and fabricate outside door sliders for the front doors, so there will be no need for door pockets. The entire body will be skinned with 16 gauge sheet metal.

This is going to take a while, but I think well worth the effort.
Attached Images

I'm just going to put an OUT-OF-ORDER sign on my forehead... and call it a day.

Last edited by Aberdare; 04-08-2018 at 04:52 PM.
Aberdare is offline   Reply With Quote