View Single Post
Old 09-11-2021, 12:13 PM   #10
Ironhorse

Re: Back Home - Honor Flight

Next group of pictures from the digital. Still have not gotten the cell cam pics downloaded.

First pic is of all the Kansas Honor Flight Veterans at the Tomb of The Unknown at Arlington National Cemetery. The silence was deafening to hear a pin drop.

Second is of the Guard of the Unknown walking his post. The post is walked 24 hours a day in all types of weather and has never been unguarded since 1937. In remained constantly guarded in September 2003 during hurricane Isabel when guards requested to remain on duty during the actual hurricane weather. These men are VERY dedicated to say the least. Again, Google Tomb of the Unknown for a huge amount of information.

Third is the Sergeant of The Guard as he walks with the Guard coming off The Walk as it is called and begins the Changing of the Guard at the Tomb. During the changing the Sergeant and the Guard both "scuff" their steel cleated heels on the stone walk as a show of respect to all Honor Flight visitors from the various visiting states. It is only audible to those standing near the walk way. 21 steps are taken to cover the length of the walk, 21 seconds to remain in Guard position and 21 seconds after he does his turn before he again walks the 21 steps. Both the Guard and the Sergeant look to be chiseled from stone as they walk showing absolutely no emotion.

Fourth pic is of The Sergeant of The Guard, the Wreath from the State of Kansas and the Tomb Bugler preparing for the Laying of the Wreath.

The last pic shows three of the four Kansas Honor Flight Veterans who were asked to participate in the Laying of the Wreath. The fourth is hidden in the pic by the veteran in the gray slacks. The other Veteran in the front in the tan slacks is none other than yours truly. I was asked with the other three veterans to participate in Laying the Wreath and was truly very honored to do so. It was an amazing moment in my life. This is the event that Presidents, Kings and other visiting dignitaries are given the opportunity to do. Never in my life did I ever have the thought I would one day do this. Actually walking forward with my and the other veterans hands on the wreath, returning and saluting as Taps was being played will remain with me for the rest of my days. A LOT of dust must have been in the air as my eyes kept watering and it was really hard to breathe and stay composed.

Sorry, but I need another break.
Attached Images

Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote