View Single Post
Old 04-18-2023, 07:40 AM   #103
hewittca

Re: Sullii the 72 GMC 1500

Thanks guys for the refresher on Nacho. I completely forgot that Delmo did those wheel wells on that truck. It was also a blast from the past to go through that build thread. So many members that were once big contributors to the site that have moved on to other social media platforms.

Anyway, onto some updates on my build. After one year of messing around with the wiring harness, I finally wrapped it up and have it ready for install! I heavily utilized lt1swap.com to strip down the harness. I basically went by the book and pulled out everything he suggested plus all the automatic transmission stuff. I also added in the wires necessary for dual speed fans, for which I will be utilizing the Taurus fans. For the fuse panel, I went with the Michigan Motorsports B4100 LS swap fuse panel. It was a nice kit with all the necessary fuses/relays, OBD2 port, and wires to connect directly to the stock harness. The only other mod I made to the electrical components was swapping out the temp sensor for the 3 wire sensor from a Camaro (PN TX111) which includes the gauge signal within the same sensor. I saw this trick on clay68c10's build thread and it's a great idea! All I had to do was add the gauge wire into the harness and run it back to my gauge panel.

I was also able to complete the accessory drive. I like the original manual steering enough to leave it alone for now, and I am not installing A/C any time soon so I had to do something to clean up the accessories. At first I was going to just mount up the stock alternator bracket but it is quite bulky, especially after removing the power steering pump. I found a decent bracket from LSX Innovations that lets you mount the alternator in the LS1 location with the proper 5.3 truck accessory spacing. All I had to do was drill/tap the upper mounting hole (M10x1.5). It also requires a 38008 idler pully from a Camaro. With the original truck alternator, I calculated that I would need a K060557 belt which ended up being perfect. I think it all came together nicely and really cleans up the front of the engine without spending a fortune on a front accessory drive kit. If I want to add power steering in the future, I will utilize the LSX innovations upper mount which will couple with their low mount alternator bracket.

Oh, and to add to the craziness of life we decided to get a new puppy! Of course I have to introduce her to the truck. My daughter is in love.

That's it for now! Lights out in the shop.

-
C10 Concept/Development Photos: Master Thread
hewittca is online now   Reply With Quote