View Single Post
Old 02-08-2017, 07:54 PM   #6
Hombre321

Re: Shortening leaf springs

After reading coreyjhen's post it got me to thinking. That is almost always a bad thing but I did it anyway.

I come from the Hot Rodding World, mostly build Model A's, there and the building of those Hot Rod type cars you always have to think outside the box. I mean I almost always use and early Hemi in most of my builds, I even am probably going to use a 392 Hemi in my 1968 Chevy truck, think outside the box!

Now coreyjhen's statement about a asymmetric type spring just may your best bet. I know that time and money have to figure into your project, and this would certainly be less expensive and quick as well.

You will have a different spring rate on one side of the spring, the shorter side will be stiffer. We do however live in the real world and while I don't know this for a fact but I bet you would never even notice that difference in the seat of the pants way.

Leaf springs have been around a very long time, I mean the Romans used them. Probably there has not been much that hasn't been tried once or twice.

There was a long time ago a spring configuration that was very popular. It was the "Quarter Elliptical Spring" at some time they fell out of favor. Today in Hot Rods they are making a real comeback because of space restraints. here are a couple of pictures of some of them. I show them not as an idea for your truck, but to show that thinking outside the box sometimes is good.
Attached Images