View Single Post
Old 05-27-2022, 02:34 AM   #17
RustyPile

Re: Engine breaking up or surging?? I'm confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 View Post
Thanks, y'all for your suggestions and places to check. So after testing the fuel pump and it checking out ok, I decided to test the ignition coil since it's easier to get to rather than the control module under the cap.

So I measured the ohms on the primary winding and got 1.2 at the lowest. The secondary winding was ok at 8k+. From the research I've done, the primary should be anywhere between 0 and 1.

So any recommendations on what coil I should get for a mostly stock 283?
I think I'm also going to pick up a control module just in case it's both
1.2 is a "good enough" resistance.. When you factor in the test lead resistance, any internal resistance of the meter itself, and finally, the tolerance for accuracy of the meter, Your reading of 1.2 ohms passes the test. I worked as a driveability tech for over 30 years. During that time, I would never have condemned a coil for being .2 ohms out of spec.

If you had an ignition problem, it wouldn't matter which gear the transmission is in when the problem crops up.. I agree with about 90% of the posters in this thread --- You have a fuel delivery problem.. I'd be looking for a faulty fuel pump, a restricted filter, rubber fuel lines collapsing under load, fuel tank not venting properly, and/or a sh*t load of other fuel delivery issues.

I won't elaborate on the futility of slinging parts at a problem, hoping something "sticks"..

[EDIT] Since you haven't talked about it yet, I'm assuming you haven't yet removed the filter at the carb inlet, cut either of the filters open and looked directly inside for debris????

Last edited by RustyPile; 05-27-2022 at 02:43 AM.
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote