Thread: carburetor neck
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2020, 11:07 AM   #32
GerhardH

Re: carburetor neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmjlambert View Post
Ok folks this is what I ended up doing. I searched high and low and made several trips to parts stores, speed shop, and to the Chevrolet dealer. I went to AutoZone, O'Reilly, Advance, and nobody could help me with grommets for the valve covers. A guy at the speed shop said to go to O'Reilly and buy a couple of breather covers, open the packages and chuck the new breathers in the trash and get the grommet out of the package, and that was the only way I was getting a grommet. I thought that sounded like something I didn't want to do. I became acquainted with a guy in the parts department at the Chevy dealer that had been around since the days of 67-72. He ordered me some that did not turn out to be the right size, but he researched further and ordered some that fit. 3 trips to the Chevy dealer and now I have some that fit. Perfectly.

I carefully clipped and removed the old grommets a piece at a time and made sure nothing fell down inside. Inserted the grommets and the PCV valve and flame arrester.

With the new grommet, inserting the flame arrester was extremely difficult. I used a little white grease and pushed and twisted, crawled up on top of the engine and put all my weight on it and pushed and twisted some more. Halfway through the process I removed the grommet and put it on the flame arrester and tried to work the grommet into the hole on the valve cover. That didn't work. I decided since this was going to be hard as hell, I would stop, take a break and do some good cleanup on the flame arrester and give it a shot of gloss black paint and work more to insert it after a couple of days. I put the grommet back on the valve cover and was eventually able to insert the flame arrester into it. It was not easy at all, it was hard as hell. But it did eventually pop in. Looks great now, and I won't be re-visiting that job for years (I hope).

I measured the valve cover holes at 15/16 inch.
Breather/flame arrester grommet part number 14091870
PCV valve grommet part number 3989350
PCV valve part number 6487779 (right angle elbow)

The PCV valve is the one with right angle elbow, I know that is not stock for 1969, but I like it. The one from Chevy is more solid built than the one I got at O'Reilly and I decided since I would just get the right part right there right now. The PCV valve grommet with the slant is probably also not stock for 1969 according to the parts guy, and the breather/flame arrester grommet would also work for the PCV valve just fine. But I like the slanted one.
Hello my friend do you have the number of the flame arrester too please?

Members met: 68 short step, 68bowtie, 72c20customcamper, botmfedr1, C/10 King, Chevyland, cornerstore, dmjlambert, fun in dirt, GMan69, Ol Blue K20
1968 CHEVROLET C20 Custom Camper 50th Anniversary, Long bed (LB) 8', 327 V8, Air Condition (AC), Power Steering (PS), Power Brake (PB), Z62 Custom & Comfort Appearance, Turbo Hydramatic TH 400
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=760400
GerhardH is offline   Reply With Quote