View Single Post
Old 11-21-2022, 07:04 PM   #161
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

Re: Rodstored-72's 1986 DD build

Well, I have accomplished a lot in the last few months. I will start with the not so good stuff. After getting the engine to turn over and could check the wiring was correct (best of my knowledge – no fires or explosions) the engine locked up on me!! I was confused & VERY DISAPOINTED IN ME! It appeared as though in all my checks and to do items… I seemed to have forgotten the most important item… OIL! Partly due to my scatter brains, but also the engine came shipped with a filter attached & so it kept slipping my mind to actually check/add….. arrrggg. So, I began the cumbersome task of removing it so I can have it rebuilt – had a HUGE HELP from my bestest friends! THANK YOU GUYS!! So, the engine was delivered to the rebuilder & a day later I received a call from him… interesting call to say the least! First, he indicated that the block was too damaged to be used & that I would need to find a suitable rebuildable replacement block…AAARRRGGG!! AGAIN! The interesting news he shared after the tear down was that the block was damaged by the fact that the crank was rubbing against the inside block wall (bad rebuild) he indicated that the engine had been “rebuilt” and not the engine that I was under the impression it was. On a side note, I don’t think the place I bought the drop out package from had prior knowledge – I believe the OG owner had a mishap & the engine was poorly rebuilt before his good fortune (my bad misfortune) of getting t-boned and totaling the truck. I have a video of the engine being started and running previously of being bought. Anyways on with the story… I was able to find a good core that had matching block numbers so it could be used. The rebuilder is a close friend of the friend that helped pull the engine with me. So… the rebuilt to stock (mellings HV oil pump and bigger valves) engine was done & we installed it back in the truck 2 weeks later!... yep! Just 2 weeks to pull, rebuild & re-install the motor! Crazy!! I am blessed to have very patient friends! After double checking the wire connections … AND…. Verifying all fluids were in & levels checked… she started right up & runs (as the wife said after she heard it) A LOT smoother! So, to finish this post up the truck is running and can drive around.! YYYAAA!!! I still need to get exhaust & alignment, so not “road worthy” quite yet. All in all, considering the circumstances I feel very blessed to have completed the build related to the running and driving part.
rodstored-72 is offline   Reply With Quote