View Single Post
Old 08-14-2020, 09:17 PM   #76
jarrodblake

Re: 1970 C30 Car hauler Buildish thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
This is a great build to watch. Im curious what the wheel base is on your truck. I have a 157" wheel base and yours looks longer. Maybe an optical illusion? And if you dont mind can you tell me your bed length is without the dovetail please. I love the idea of the removable dovetail! What length ride can you get up there with the dovetail installed?
The truck was stretched 4 feet it has a wheel base of 205". Before I cut the dovetail off the bed was a total of 17 feet. 12 foot flat and 4 foot of dovetail. I will be adding one foot to the flatbed as the rear of the frame sticks out past the bed 10 inches. When it is all said and done the bed will be 13 feet log and when I add the dove tail it should be 18 feet and maybe a inch or two. With the 17 foot bed I was able to fit a single cab long bed truck on it. Now with the extra foot, 18 feet or so I should just be able to fit a extended cab long bed on it and have a few inches to spare.

Here is what I have so far of the rear extension I am reusing some of the railing on the rear it is welded to a mix of chrome moly and dom tubing from other projects its all 1.75 120 wall. the plan is to use 1.50 inch pins to hold on the dovetail at the top. the bottom will slide into the receiver on the bumper hitch I made.

IMAG3091 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr

IMAG3092 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr

IMAG3093 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr

The outer parts of the extension of the bed is shorter than the 4 inner extensions, I am hoping it will help distribute the load of the dovetail instead of all the weight being on the bumper hitch.

IMAG3094 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr

IMAG3095 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr

I also got a cheap rear view mirror off ebay

IMAG3085 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr

IMAG3086 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr

I also replaced the rear brake line I could not front one the same length one that was on it I ordered 2 but they were too short. I ended up making me own brake line I ended up ordering a 18 inch 3an brake line and a male and female 3an to 7/16-24 adapters and a 7/16-24 t fitting so I could get the correct length line.

IMAG3088 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr

IMAG3089 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr

Current state of the garden

IMAG3075 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr

IMAG3074 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr

IMAG3076 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr

IMAG3077 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr

The forest of tomatoes is taking over

IMAG3078 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr

IMAG3079 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr

IMAG3080 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr

IMAG3081 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr