View Single Post
Old 04-18-2024, 11:06 AM   #99
loudchevy

Re: "BUILD: 1970 C10 LWB--->SWB “Jumping Cholla”

Final item of test fitting....PO must have bumped into a pipe bollard or post because there was a big dent in the hood (where the filler is) on the passenger side and it continued down into the grill. I have put in a lot of time and effort into trying to re-use the OG grille, but it was just too banged up to get straightened and cleaned up to put back on the C10 and I gave up.

I bought a new reproduction piece from LMC as I didn't want to break the bank for a NOS piece. My expectation wasn't very high for it fitting right out of box and it's being the same thickness of metal, and I was right. However, after a few hours of tweaking here and there, I had it fitting pretty well. I had pulled off the mounting brackets from the OG grill, cleaned, and painted them to re-use on this repo. Once I got the mounting backets bolted to the fenders, most of the rivet holes on the new grill matched up to the holes in the brackets which was a nice surprise. I'm pretty happy with the end result even though I didn't drop the extra 150 bucks for the grill stamped with "CHEVROLET". The repo has the black color offset around the light bezels which I actually like better than the OG as it breaks up the shiny aluminum mass. The old grill will now become garage wall art!
Attached Images

2003 Tahoe Stock
1985 K5 5.3LS/4L60E|8Lug 4:56|3/4 Ton Front|14BFF Rear|Roll Cage|Dove-tailed & Bobbed
loudchevy is offline   Reply With Quote