View Single Post
Old 03-18-2020, 10:56 AM   #49
cornerstone

Re: Uncle Loyd's 72' C-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDPotter View Post
Okay, you are very modest about your bodywork skills. It takes a lot of patience and skill to shorten bedsides and it looks like yours came out great.

Like sprint said, lists are important. I've maintained a list/schedule throughout my build and at times it's had tasks as broad as "assemble bed" or as specific as "fill differential". I use it to lay out my plan of attack every weekend which helps me to know when I need to order parts and be as efficient with my time as I can. This amount of planning (combined with working on it almost every Saturday) has helped me to get my truck done in just over a year. I've also had the help of my dad throughout and the experience of a prior project which are both huge factors.

Is your YZ a 250 or 450? I have a 450, but it's old by today's standards (2009). I haven't ridden it in months though. Been having too much fun working on trucks.
Thank you, but to be fair I've never laid paint other than primer over any of my filler work, so time will tell.

The Yamaha is a YZ250XF... 2015 I think. I got that one over my life long love with Suzukis because it had electric start and the RMZ250 didn't have that feature yet. The yz also has a 6 speed, which in hindsight I'd rather have the 5 speed. I don't even have the ability to hit 5th gear on my track, so 6th is a waste. If someday I find myself running from the cops I'll have no trouble. The thing will do 99 MPH according to my GPS app.

My buddy and I bought YZ's the same day, he got the 450 and I stayed with a 250. Every now and then, I'll hop on his for a lap or two. Even though I'll be grinnin' the whole time, I know its not the bike for me. I live in pain from previous wrecks all of which happened on the one 450 I ever owned, a 2005 CRF450X. I rode that for one year (injured half of the time) and went back to a Suzuki Rmz250. The crashing stopped... I blame my tendency to have whiskey throttle. My 250 is manageable for my skill level, and I've learned the hard way what my limits are.

1972 C10, "Loyd", LWB to SWB, 5.3, L83/6L80e, 4:11 Tru Trac, Air Ride, VA, DD, 20" Coys, 4 wheel disc, A quick LS swap turned into a 6 year frame off resto-mod.
cornerstone is offline   Reply With Quote