View Single Post
Old 08-02-2015, 12:17 PM   #2
indymachinist

Re: 68 shortbed stepside stripper truck build

Now on with the pictures of the truck from the next day.

This truck is currently not running. It would start up and run some, but the carb seemed to just be pouring gas into the engine. The previous owner thinks that someone took it apart and put it back together and forgot to put a spring in it? You can see its little Rochester Monojet sitting on the ground in the corner of the picture. I am going to try to get a coworker to help me rebuild this thing and see if we can get the engine running right.

I do not like the bedside mounted spare tire. This will be one of the first things to go away. So I will have to get ahold of a new driver side fender to take care of this.

The tailgate is a flat panel where the Chevrolet is written. That is a black sticker. I assume it is an aftermarket tailgate? Or were some of them flat like that from the factory? I would have rather had the tailgate that has Chevrolet stamped into it but its not a big deal.

Is this possibly original bed wood? It is in pretty bad shape but it is there.

The underside/rockers of the truck are in pretty good shape. You likely wouldn't find one up around me that look this good. The driver outer rocker does have the start of a small hole in the back area of it.

Passenger rocker is in good shape.

This seat and steering wheel is a pretty hilarious combo. I know it was common for the time but sitting in this truck makes me feel like I am sitting in a school bus or something. The bench seat and giant steering wheel will almost certainly be swapped out for something else. Not sure what yet, but something.

The blue interior doesn't really do it for me. Not sure what I am going to do with the interior yet but it is likely I will change the blue to either a charcoal gray or black.

There is a bit of bondo in the hood that has cracked. I am not overly worried about it as I may consider putting a low cowl induction hood on the truck. I like the way those look

Is this a common thing? I have seen 3 trucks with the same issue that I have looked at. At first I thought it was from people just being lazy while painting the dash board but this actually appears to be a white fog inside the glass. Does water somehow manage to get into the layers of the windshield or what?

This looks like something I need to get taken care of. Not sure how to best tackle stopping this rust without getting paint work involved?

Last edited by indymachinist; 08-02-2015 at 12:36 PM.
indymachinist is offline   Reply With Quote