View Single Post
Old 04-07-2022, 12:52 PM   #1
stinsonj

Steering Box Outside of Frame?

Does anyone have experience with installing a steering box for a Chey 3100 (mine is a 1951) on the outside of the frame rather than the inside? I was planning on utilizing a rack and pinion kit i got from Performance Online (https://www.performanceonline.com/19...nd-Pinion-Kit/) but the starter on my 4bt is directly in the way of where the steering shaft should be routed. I can get fancy with multiple u-joints and probably make it work but my worry is that i will need so many u-joints (probably 4) that i wont have a run long enough to install a slip joint for the steering. Also, I showed some photos of my build to a guy at a local hot rod shop and he immediately said i will not be happy with the steering setup due to a large amount of bump steer. So, in the end, I'm looking at alternatives to my current set up that wont require a bunch of u-joints in the steering and figure that since the starter is where the stock steering box mounts, the best place for a steering box is on the outside of the frame if possible.
stinsonj is offline   Reply With Quote