View Single Post
Old 01-14-2021, 04:17 PM   #6
87Skier

Re: GMC grill alignment issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by rechinca View Post
You really need to start with the basics of cab and rad supports. You will not get anything done other than enlarging holes that doesn’t fix the issue. I just put my front end back together after removing almost everything but the cab, bed and rear axle. I put in new cab mounts, takes about an hour, and still took over an hour to get my gaps halfway right. It’s a lot of snugging but not tightening a lot of the bolts to keep moving. That includes radiator support to fenders and the fender braces as well as the radiator support mounts. Moving one has the equal effect on the opposite side. Sometimes you have to work with the point 180* from your problem to fix it.
I have a Jimmy, so to start with the basics I would need to replace all the rubber mounts, replace the missing rocker boxes, and fix the rust in the rocker panels and floor sections to eliminate bulkhead flex. I do have the room, nor the time right now to tackle these jobs.

The only holes I'm going to enlarge are for the hood hinge spring assembly. I'm at the end of my travel, yet the hood fouls on the cowl. The cowl, doors, and fenders have decent gaps. Most of the gap issues are just 70's build quality, and aren't misaligned.
87Skier is offline   Reply With Quote