The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-31-2024, 04:40 PM   #51
TX3100Guy

Re: Parking brake question

Quote:
Originally Posted by leegreen View Post
Sounds like a solid plan.
Still room for exhaust on that side?
I think so, thats part of what I have to test and why I might angle the brackets to the top of the frame and let the E-Stopp hang from the brackets rather than sit on them.

My 1953 Chevy Work-In-Process Photo Gallery

"I don't have a carbon footprint, I drive everywhere."
TX3100Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:12 PM   #52
TX3100Guy

i turns out I do have an unexpected dilemma. The end of the threaded rod on the E-Stopp is metric threaded M6 - 1.0. i have searched high and low for a forked clevis that has metric thread of that size and come up empty. I've even searched for a small threaded Heim joint to bolt onto the tab on the brake mechanism. All searches have some up negative, any thoughts or alternatives wlll be appreciated.

Name:  IMG_5138.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  73.5 KB

Old Yesterday, 02:00 PM   #53
dsraven

Just fab a clevis or retread one that works. A threaded adapter with metric on one end and standard o the other end is a possibility
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:03 PM   #54
e015475

I don't have one of those ebrake thingys - mine is just a 300 lb linear actuator connected with a DPDT switch in the cab.

The clevis is just two pieces of flat stock welded to a nut. It isn't real pretty, but it is hidden under the truck?

I mostly did this because I didn't want to wait for an order or pay shipping at McMaster -Car. But if you do, they list a clevis end in M6x1 for about $12 plus shipping

https://www.mcmaster.com/products/clevises/rod-ends-1~/
e015475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:32 PM   #55
TX3100Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by e015475 View Post

I don't have one of those ebrake thingys - mine is just a 300 lb linear actuator connected with a DPDT switch in the cab.

The clevis is just two pieces of flat stock welded to a nut. It isn't real pretty, but it is hidden under the truck?

I mostly did this because I didn't want to wait for an order or pay shipping at McMaster -Car. But if you do, they list a clevis end in M6x1 for about $12 plus shipping

https://www.mcmaster.com/products/clevises/rod-ends-1~/
Great timing, I was just getting ready to order some other things from McMaster and added the clevis to my order. Thank you.

Old Yesterday, 03:31 PM   #56
TX3100Guy

i have roughed out a mounting method using the 1/4 inch shelf brackets. They sit inside the c-channel of the frame and are bolted. I will probably cut some 16 gauge steel to lay on top of the brackets, then bolt the E-Stopp to the steel plate. So far so good, and I'm fairly certain that this is out of the way from the exhaust and drive shaft. More work to continue.

Name:  IMG_5141.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  46.5 KB

Old Today, 09:41 AM   #57
dsraven

just heads up on the mounting system that you may have overlooked. the mounting of the haevy part is just to keep that part from flopping around etc. the working part of the cable connection is an important part and has nuts on the outer threaded part for a reason. the first part to fab and mount, before you bolt down the heavy part, is the mount for the cable connection outer part. this should be inline with the cable or rod that comes from the rear. if using the original crossbar, the lever where the rod used to connect to the front mechanism should be moved over to be inline with the new mechanism and made to the correct length to allow a proper amount of travel for the rear cables and also be within the travellimits of the estopp. after getting this figured out and the cable end mounted firmly then the estopp heavy part can be bolted down. this way it is the cable mount that will be taking the major strain, as designed I think, and the mounts for the heavy part will be for holding that part firmly on the frame.
make sense?
there is a mounting video on the speedway site that maybe explains it better. first the cable is mounted and adjusted and then the heavy part is mounted and adjusted to that. remember the cable comes in the fully extended position. I guess what I am saying is don't rely on the body of the estopp for taking the strain of the pull when the unit is called into action, it isn't designed that way and may fail. the cable outer part should be the part taking the strain and so should be attached to the heavy duty mounting bracket. behind that is the heavy part that required a mount heavy duty enough to hold the weight of that part but it doesn't actually take the strain of the brake application, that is the outer cable mount job.
Old Today, 09:48 AM   #58
leegreen

like this, could be part of the plate you are adding to the brackets
Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  28.9 KB
leegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:52 AM   #59
dsraven

yes, exactly, however my version would likely have some wings on it for better anti-bending under load. thats just me. get that mount installed, then bolt down the estopp unit, which has adjustement slots so the cable can have a straightline pull without a bend in the outer part.
thanks LG, a pic is worth a thousand words, lol.
Old Today, 01:51 PM   #60
TX3100Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by leegreen View Post
like this, could be part of the plate you are adding to the brackets
Attachment 2365071
Thanks for catching that. Last night I had the E-Stopp on my bench hooked up to a 12v transformer to see what the pull length was on the unit so I could judge any any adjustment room necessary. Then I saw that threaded rod and nut and scratched my head and said I think I need to do some research tomorrow. Then I saw your post first thing and it all made sense.

This is still a rough fabrication, more detail yet to some. I will likely cut a sheet of 16 gauge sheet metal to sit on the braces and then bolt them to the braces and the E-Stopp to the sheet metal and brackets to make it secure but with room to adjust as necessary. Then powder coat everything.

FYI, the cable pull is about two inches.

Name:  IMG_5142.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  40.7 KB

Old Today, 05:17 PM   #61
TX3100Guy

I messed around more today with my setup and I'm not thrilled with it. The dilemma is that the E-Stopp needs to be placed on an angle to the frame in order to line up with the tab on the brake mechanism and that makes it look odd to me. The photo in post # 58 above looks clean and I like it but don't see how that would work on this truck given the bed cross member right behind the cab and the brake mechanism that spans the width of the truck.