The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-03-2012, 12:18 AM   #1
ClassicGuy

Valve adjustment SBC

Ok Gents,
I have a SB 350 with hydraulic lifters and I'm replaing the stock rocker arms with steel roller rockers. Do I need to torque the rockers to a certain level or is there a different way? I have never done this and want to learn on my own so any advice would be very much appreciated.
Thank you.
Posted via Mobile Device
ClassicGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:45 AM   #2
oklalawnboy

Re: Valve adjustment SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicGuy View Post
Ok Gents,
I have a SB 350 with hydraulic lifters and I'm replaing the stock rocker arms with steel roller rockers. Do I need to torque the rockers to a certain level or is there a different way? I have never done this and want to learn on my own so any advice would be very much appreciated.
Thank you.
Posted via Mobile Device
My 2 cents. You have to make sure the valve your working on is in the closed position. I spin/turn the push rod (thing that sits in the seat opposite the roller tip) with one hand while tightening the new lock nut. When the pushrod quits spinning freely I tighten the nut a half turn more and stop. The go to next closed valve and repeat. You'll have to "feel" when the pushrod quits being easy to spin. Or the older way and tighten them down while the truck is running and they quit clacking. Can be messy if you don't have clips to deflect the oil back into the head. Good Luck.
76 Monte Carlo
83 Chevy short wide Silverado
96 Mazda Miata, 2000 Allegro Bus
oklalawnboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:13 AM   #3
ClassicGuy

Thanks for the help, Sounds pretty strait forward.
Posted via Mobile Device
ClassicGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:31 AM   #4
truckster

Here's a good tutorial:

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/smal...nt-206144.html
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 02:18 PM   #5
GMCJOE

You adjust the hydraulic the same as you would a flat tappet. The only difference is that you give them a 1/4 turn preload after you get zero lash on the push rod. It is recommended that you only do an 1/8 of turn if you are going to be running high rpm's more often than not, more towards a race application than street application.

This link says to do it after the engine has been running, but you will be fine doing it with out running the engine. Though most of the time it is recommend to do readjustment after you break the cam in after running the engine at 2500 rpm's for 15 minutes. This is one of the better break downs of the adjustment I have found that explains pretty in-depth about it.

http://www.centuryperformance.com/va...procedure.html

I suggest just doing the 1/4 turn for preload after zero lash. It has worked just fine for me thru out the years of doing this with no failer.

1969 GMC SWB-350 SBC 700R4
2013 Ram 2500 CC Laramie Longhorn Edition-6.7 PPEI EFI Live CSP5 5” ProFlo Exhaust
GMCJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 02:50 PM   #6
68Gold/white

Not knocking anyone, but I've never got the pushrod spinning method to work...however...

It's a simple deal. The lifter HAS to be on the base of the cam, NOT on the lobe, when cam lobe is pushing the lifter up to open the valve.
Tighten the rocker down until there is NO clearance or jiggle between the rocker and top of the valve stem. Then tighten the rocker nut another 1/4-2/2 turn. That's it....You just have to make sure you are NOT campressing the plunger in the lifter, when taking up the clearance out of the rocker/valve area...
68Gold/white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 04:58 PM   #7
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

1/4 turn is for a higher lift radical cam. Stock is one full turn. Depending on your cam I'd say 1/2 to 3/4 turn.

Personally I've always used 1/2 turn on my performance engines, and 3/4 turn on a more mild stockish build.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:31 PM   #8
cdowns

i'd think if you never done it and dont have engine experience a service manual might b a good investment for you or at the very least a daytrip to the library
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:44 PM   #9
yuccales

If you like wrenching on small blocks, this is a good book to have, "How to rebuild your Small Block Chevy" by Dave Vizard. It's got some good info.
yuccales is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 03:19 PM   #10
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
i'd think if you never done it and dont have engine experience a service manual might b a good investment for you or at the very least a daytrip to the library
Couldn't agree more. It always makes me wonder why cats that own 40 year old vehicles don't have the basics like a service manual. I actually own some sort of service manual for every single car or truck I own.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:18 PM   #11
68Gold/white

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
Couldn't agree more. It always makes me wonder why cats that own 40 year old vehicles don't have the basics like a service manual. I actually own some sort of service manual for every single car or truck I own.

Gary
A lot of the best info and details are not always in books.... I've been blessed to have as friends a REAL engine builder, and a REAL machinist, and my Dad was a mechanic before he retired....

AND when I was younger, a couple of my buddies built several engines... I got to learn from their mistakes...

Most of the stuff (my opinion) on 40+ year old cars, mechanically is visual stuff, brakes, suspension, even electrical, you can see what you are working on, and don't have to visualize what the problem might be, you can see it, NOT so w/ modern computer cars........
68Gold/white is offline   Reply With Quote