The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-23-2012, 11:34 PM   #1
DustinU

Steve McQueen's Blazer

So it's official now... My Dad is the 2nd owner of his 1970 Blazer, the first being Steve T. McQueen! He always thought maybe, because of the shop where he bought it had a ton of Steve McQueen racing pictures on the wall.
My Dad bought his Blazer back in 1972 and has had it ever since. We always questioned why it has a Jimmy grille and a beefed up front posi-traction axle (not sure whats actually under there). We believe the front posi is there so they wouldn't get stuck while in Baja and could pull the trailers through the sand. The Jimmy grille also gave the truck an extra set of lights with out a light bar... just our thoughts anyway.
This truck is the reason I bought my 1969 Blazer and my brother bought his 1972 Jimmy, growing up in this one on all of our camping and desert trips etc.
He drove this Blazer across country shortly after buying it, and my brother and I got to drive it around in High School, now after just finding out it was Steve McQueen's none of us want to drive it

DustinU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:51 AM   #2
YBNORML

Re: Steve McQueen's Blazer

That's pretty cool! Steve Mcqueen definately qualifies as one of the coolest guys ever But what's even cooler is the fact that your pop's has managed to hold onto it all these years. It looks to be in awesome shape, has it been restored?

68’ GMC shortbox
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=794201

72' 2WD Blazer
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=425385

67' LongBox C-10
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=691845

InstaGram ybnorml67
YBNORML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:58 AM   #3
beonkey

Looks good Dad! Hey Dustin, did you hear that Dad just traded me that blazer for my Jimmy! So cool.

The blazer has been reprinted the original color and rebuilt the motor. The Blazer is in great SoCal shape. No rust. I can't believe he let us drive it in high school......what a mistake!
Posted via Mobile Device
beonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:54 AM   #4
notsolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustinU View Post
So it's official now... My Dad is the 2nd owner of his 1970 Blazer, the first being Steve T. McQueen! He always thought maybe, because of the shop where he bought it had a ton of Steve McQueen racing pictures on the wall.
My Dad bought his Blazer back in 1972 and has had it ever since. We always questioned why it has a Jimmy grille and a beefed up front posi-traction axle (not sure whats actually under there). We believe the front posi is there so they wouldn't get stuck while in Baja and could pull the trailers through the sand. The Jimmy grille also gave the truck an extra set of lights with out a light bar... just our thoughts anyway.
This truck is the reason I bought my 1969 Blazer and my brother bought his 1972 Jimmy, growing up in this one on all of our camping and desert trips etc.
He drove this Blazer across country shortly after buying it, and my brother and I got to drive it around in High School, now after just finding out it was Steve McQueen's none of us want to drive it

Hey Dustin That's a NICE BLAZER... your Dad deserves all the credit for keeping it like that for 40 years...Very Cool.
notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:57 AM   #5
29od1

Quote:
Originally Posted by beonkey View Post
I can't believe he let us drive it in high school......what a mistake!
Posted via Mobile Device

Well at least you guys kept it in one piece!

That's a great looking rig and a really cool story. It's nice that if one of you guys can't figure out where a piece goes back on your trucks, you can pop over to dad's and see where the factory put it.
29od1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:21 AM   #6
DustinU

Like my brother said, the motor has been rebuilt and it has been repainted, but the the green color changed (It was originally a different green, I think medium gold metallic??). The front seats were reupholstered due to heavy use, my dad drove this everywhere. No major restoration of any kind (rust, cut dash, doors, rockers, torsion boxes are all original, to him anyway)... very cool.
We literally got the paperwork this week that confirms this and are going to take it to the local "Friends of Steve McQueen Charity Car Show" near by in Chino.
My Dad is looking for some old pics, I will post them up when he finds them.

That's a great looking rig and a really cool story. It's nice that if one of you guys can't figure out where a piece goes back on your trucks, you can pop over to dad's and see where the factory put it.

No kidding

Last edited by DustinU; 05-24-2012 at 11:27 AM.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:06 PM   #7
fun in dirt

Cool!!!
'06 Silverado SS...DD
'06 C1500 WT...DD
'07 Classic C1500 WT...DD
Built & sold cause can't keep 'em all:
'72 Blazer "The Bucket" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=433190
'55 Chevy straight axle gasser https://www.trifive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173938
'69 Pro Street Chevelle http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=332541
'86 M1031 CUCV http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=553619
fun in dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 05:56 PM   #8
cleszkie

Does anyone remember the Seinfeld episode were George Costanza thinks that he has just bought John Voigt's car? Turned out to be another, not so famous John Voigt. I'm not doubting the Steve McQueen connection of this Blazer, just reminded me of the TV show.
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:10 PM   #9
DustinU

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleszkie View Post
Does anyone remember the Seinfeld episode were George Costanza thinks that he has just bought John Voigt's car? Turned out to be another, not so famous John Voigt. I'm not doubting the Steve McQueen connection of this Blazer, just reminded me of the TV show.
LMAO, actually yes I do, that's pretty funny!

Unless there is another Steven T. McQueen who also owned a business named Solar Productions in N. Hollywood I think he is safe