The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-22-2024, 07:25 PM   #1
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Washing car with little water?

Is there a way to do that if the paint and chrome are pristine? Last I knew dirt scratches paint, yet there are all kinds of "waterless products". Seems those are a risk. My truck only sees dust, high desert.

No getting around spraying the brake dust off the wheels it would seem. I've only washed the truck once so far. Mother's soap, water, followed by Ammo "paint moisturizer", which is nice stuff.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring the truck from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details, OEM identifications & part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images of assm., illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 12:46 AM   #2
Sheepdip

Re: Washing car with little water?

I use Sprayway Ammonia Free Foaming Glass Cleaner on all my cars and the paint still looks and shines like new. Buy it by the case at Dollar General. This paint job is 20 years old now
Attached Images

Sheepdip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 08:10 AM   #3
67C10Step

^^^I started using Sprayway glass cleaner a few years ago and have expanded its use to the rubber floor mat in my 67, and also isn't bad as a first step oil and grease remover when prepping for paint.
2024 Toyota Tundra
67C10Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 09:49 AM   #4
Mid-Pack

I`ve been using waterless cleaners for some time. Currently using Turtle Wax Ceramic 3-in-1 Detailer (waterless cleaner) with great results. Use a 300 to 500 gsm microfiber towel, preferable 500. Lifts the dirt off and leaves a smooth, slippery protected finish. Best results when applying in shade with a cool body surface. Turtle Wax has stepped up their game and makes quality products now, with great reviews. You can use it on wheels, too.
I`ve also used Meguiar`s Waterless wash & wax with great results.
Of course, it depends how much dirt your talking about. Too much, then soap and water is a must. Overall, I find it less work and less time consuming to maintain the cleaning of your car. Rather than letting the dirt accumulate and having to completely wash the vehicle.
Mid-Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 11:33 PM   #5
Dead Parrot

Use an air compressor blow gun to blow the dust off. Dust blown off is dust not scratching anything if you have to do more.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2024, 01:53 PM   #6
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Thanks for the heads up. Just ordered the sprayway ammonia free. Will suit the engine bay and undercarriage too. Good idea about blowing it off first. I use my shop blower vac.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring the truck from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details, OEM identifications & part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images of assm., illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 05-25-2024 at 04:08 PM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2024, 03:52 PM   #7
Sheepdip

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
Thanks for the heads up. Just ordered the sprayway ammonia free. Will suit the engine bay and undercarriage too.
Engine Bay/Motor I use "LA's Totally Awesome" at 100% strength not diluted. It's an amazing degreaser, get it at Dollar General or Amazon. Also ammonia free.

https://www.amazon.com/128oz-Refills...bJg1M4IhmYMQEl
Sheepdip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:45 AM   #8
LT7A

Interesting info here. I can't quite get to where I don't think that water is still beneficial to lifting away dirt, but some of you guys are showing great results and some may live where water washing is restricted. Thanks for this info. I like the grease cutter info too. I use Dawn dish detergent in a spray bottle about 1:20 with water. Works well on moderately oily stuff. I see now that Dawn also makes a heavy duty degreaser that I'll have to try.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote