The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-14-2024, 02:34 PM   #1
Ziegelsteinfaust

1995-2007 Vortec intake manifolds

I was putting stuff away, and I found a 5.7 Vortec lower intake manifold. That I was messing with to make a 3 duece intake for my dad. So out of boredom I put it on my L99 4.3 V8 aka the mid 90's baby LT1 to see if it could work.

While it is a chonky girl. All it would take me to make it fit is some grinding to relocate the bolt holes. As it only uses the outer 8 bolts.

On the plus side. The runners are 7 inches long vs my LT's 2.5 inches. So I could get a big shot of torque that I am looking for.

Like I said the engine is a 1996 4.3 L99 V8 or baby LT1. It has a Corvette cam with bolt ons. On the very generous side 280 hp with 290lbft torque. Or we'll below what I understand the poppet valves to support of roughly 400/400.

How tuneable is the poppet valve system vs regular injectors?

Do you think the base manifold design is better then the 80's tpi set up?
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 04:35 PM   #2
AussieinNC

Re: 1995-2007 Vortec intake manifolds

TBI is essentially a replacement carburetor with some metering capabilities.

EFI is infinitely more tunable than TBI as each injector could be tuned to perfection if each cylinder had a wideband O2 sensor.

Even more tunability is achievable by utilizing direct combustion chamber style injection as most modern engines have progressed to.

Adding direct fire coil on plug ignition systems also aids the tuneability and reliability.

As far as runner length is concerned, longer runners produce more torque and as we all know, it takes torque to get the work done.

When the modern engines move to hydrogen for fuel a lot of the current emission equipment will become redundant.

Here is some drool samples for you that already exist...

https://www.jegs.com/i/FITech+Fuel+I...UaAtdREALw_wcB

2006 Chevy Silverado (Daily Driver)
2012 Chevy Equinox

AussieinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 05:53 PM   #3
truckster

I can only disagree with one thing Aussie said - I don't think hydrogen is the future. 95% of hydrogen comes from fossil fuels, and that's not likely to change in the foreseeable future.
Old 05-16-2024, 06:16 PM   #4
AussieinNC

Yes, current hydrogen production has a carbon origin...

Toyota are working on a process to split the H2 out of plain old water, with the net result of an increase in O2 and zero emissions.

The future is just around the corner...and its not EV's/

EV's are not sustainable...and our infrastructure cant support our power needs now without 40% of the national fleet being EV...

2006 Chevy Silverado (Daily Driver)
2012 Chevy Equinox

AussieinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 06:59 PM   #5
truckster

I agree EVs are not the answer, but electrolysis requires a huge amount of electricity, and if you use seawater it also leave behind some pretty nasty residue. The problem with hydrogen is that, even though it's the most abundant element in the universe, it's very rare on Earth except for in combination of other elements. It takes a lot of energy to break those bonds.

I personally think that we will need a new technology we have yet to discover if we're ever going escape the use of fossil fuels.
Old 05-16-2024, 10:21 PM   #6
Ziegelsteinfaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieinNC View Post
TBI is essentially a replacement carburetor with some metering capabilities.

EFI is infinitely more tunable than TBI as each injector could be tuned to perfection if each cylinder had a wideband O2 sensor.

Even more tunability is achievable by utilizing direct combustion chamber style injection as most modern engines have progressed to.

Adding direct fire coil on plug ignition systems also aids the tuneability and reliability.

As far as runner length is concerned, longer runners produce more torque and as we all know, it takes torque to get the work done.

When the modern engines move to hydrogen for fuel a lot of the current emission equipment will become redundant.

Here is some drool samples for you that already exist...

https://www.jegs.com/i/FITech+Fuel+I...UaAtdREALw_wcB
Tbi is not the vortec with poppet injectors. The poppet wre 7sed 95 to 14 roughly
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 11:28 PM   #7
truckster

The poppet valves can't be tuned. I understand later model L31 Vortecs used an updated spider that had true multipoint injectors. I don't know if they're still available.
Old 05-20-2024, 05:55 PM   #8
Tom
driving is in my blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
The poppet valves can't be tuned. I understand later model L31 Vortecs used an updated spider that had true multipoint injectors. I don't know if they're still available.
96-2000 was vortec with poppet injectors. They all came poppet from the factory. Chevy release an updated MPI setup that turns the poppets into 8 mini injectors. They can be retrofitted to any vortec small block.

None can be tuned for more flow. That requires a marine intake manifold that uses normal injectors.
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 06:15 PM   #9
57taskforce
All about them K’s

Napa and others carry the aftermarket version of multi point injectors too. I’ve used them with pretty good success in the past. The original style are junk just like the CPI 4.3 spider that was in the 92-95 S10 blazers.
‘69 K10 SWB http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805206
'98 Silverado LT K2500HD ECLB Vortec 454/4l80E: 6" lift 315/75/16's
‘87 IROC-Z all original 50K mile survivor TPI 305 IROC Blue
‘10 Camaro 2SS/RS Aqua Blue Metallic #93 -version 2.0
57taskforce is offline   Reply With Quote