The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-19-2013, 05:18 PM   #1
markiemark

Rear suspension question

OK so I got my 67 GMC over 3 weeks ago and the only drive in it was from the delivery truck to my house (2 miles). The truck hit the bumps pretty hard. My truck is static dropped and pretty much slammed. 18" rims on a 5 lug set up with meaty tires on now. Going 20/20" or 20/22" soon and yes it has leaf springs. Is that normal with a lowered truck with leafs? I'm new to this truck and will be getting some pictures up soon. Also, does it pay to change the rear out to coils? And if so what kits do you recommend. Thanks
markiemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 07:42 PM   #2
SCOTI

Re: Rear suspension question

The 66-72 trucks came w/either leafs or coils. Leafs were more common in GMC's; coils more common in Chevys.

Coil suspensions generally do offer improved ride quality & the leafs were more stable w/loads. I've had 2 very similar set-up trucks (front drop w/spindles & trimmed coils). 1 had leafs (used a flip kit) & the other was bags in place of coils + blocks. The coil suspension set-up was hands down better ride quality.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote