The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-21-2024, 09:32 AM   #1
SideStepper

wiper motor install

Need help on electric wiper motor installation on my 55, 2nd series pick-up. The stock wiper motor (with mounting bracket) has 2 Phillp head screw locations, but I am not finding a mating hole pattern bracket in the cab, under the dash. I thought that this was going to be easy, but working under the dash is always a challenge. Does anyone have a good wiper motor assembly illustration? The illustration that I found is unclear on the cab dash bracket configuration.
SideStepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2024, 09:46 AM   #2
dsraven

Re: wiper motor install

have you checked the factory assembly manual? if is a free download from the trifive site. just google. it would show exactly how the factory assembled the parts

55-59 chevrolet truck factory assembly manual

these cabs had vacuum wipers on most but some newer cabs from the later part of the task force series had electric wipers as optional. these had a differentmount bracket and the firewall area had a slightly different bump in the area to accomodate the bigger unit.

this thread has a few pics, dunno if that will help you

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=657259
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2024, 09:56 AM   #3
dsraven

factory assembly manual section 1 sheet 53 shows the assemblies. sorry, couldn't get a pic to trtansfer from the download to here. easy for you to google it and see though.
58-9, the apache trucks, were possibly when the electric units became available. your firewall bump may be a little different than the previous models. thats if your cab is original and wasn't swapped out with a different year along the way.
Old 06-21-2024, 10:25 AM   #4
dsraven

sorry, for some reason I was thinking your truck was a later version. forgot it says right in the post that it's a 55.2.
if you can post up a few pics of the area and your wiper motor that may help, so we can see what youhave for brackets etc. I assume you are installing an aftermarket electric wiper motor, since 55 was most likely not electric?
Old 06-21-2024, 01:34 PM   #5
SideStepper

The electric wiper motor is the factory original for my 55.2 GMC pickup.

In your 1st reply, you referred me to a thread on this website that was helpful. Thank You. In that thread, the pics posted (ref. OrrieG dated, 1-22-15) is the factory motor that I have. I need to take another look under the dash to locate the "factory support" bracket shown in that pic (dash btm). I will let you know if I have any luck finding it.
Old 06-21-2024, 10:46 PM   #6
SideStepper

GOOD NEWS: It was not easy, but I finally found the "factor support" bracket for the wiper motor. It is located high up in the forward part of the dash, rather than back near the firewall, where I was expecting it to be . The area is confined, with poor accessibility & full of everything you can think of (radio, various wires, defroster vent hoses, etc.) plus you need to work around the floor shifter & seat when laying on your back for the installation. 
After many decades of working on older trucks/cars, I sometime surprise myself that I thought that installing a wiper motor was going to be easy! I guess I am just an optimistic person, otherwise my projects would never get completed. A SHOUT OUT & Thank You again, to dsraven for referring me to the picture I needed for help.
Old Yesterday, 12:56 AM   #7
mr48chev

This is one time I am a bit disappointed in the factory service manual.

If you have one from Newport Engineering I'd say that it is reasonably self explanatory. Remove the vacuum wiper. install the new one and hook up the linkage and wires.
Attached Images

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:19 AM   #8
dsraven

Glad you got it working and I could point you in the right direction.
Old Yesterday, 01:40 PM   #9
mr48chev

Sounds like a project I have going on my HHR next week. The instructions on you tube say that you just have to undo these four screws. take out four bolts, remove a panel, reach in and unplug the plug for the steering modual/motor remove two bolts and pull it out, grease up an O ring and put it on and install the new one in reverse process. That doesn't include the idea that I am 77 years old, neither shoulder works very well and weight a fat 285. I've found that the flat fold out bench that I bought at Costco to have extra seating at picnics works pretty good to set up next to the vehicle to lay on to slide yourself under the dash and not have your back in a kink though.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote