The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-15-2016, 12:12 PM   #1
blazer2007

headliner install ?

I have a 1980 chev truck with no headliner and found a donor one that I have at home in pieces and was wondering where to start,which bracket should I start with.Is there one main one to start with so all the rest fall into place so I don,t drill a bunch of holes all over the place.
blazer2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 05:59 PM   #2
Gmc.guy

Re: headliner install ?

I have never put one in a truck that didn't have one originally, but I would try the b-pillar first The seat belt holes would line up the piece I think to locate the new holes Then the a-pillar ones The rest should fall into place
Old 03-15-2016, 10:39 PM   #3
Tilt

I put one I'm my Custom Deluxe a few months back. I started by having my son hold the headliner in place while I screwed both sun visors in place. Next, I put the B-pilars in place while he was still supporting the liner. At that point it would stay in place without having to hold it up. I then put one screw in the piece over the door closest to the B-pilar. Then set the A-pilar in place and lined it up with the piece over the door and screwed the A-pilar in place. Finished the last couple of screws above the door the did the same procedure on the opposite side. The front and rear pieces lined up nicely. I did drill a pilot hole for each screw to keep the drill from slipping and cracking the trim by just trying to use the self tapping screws first. Hope this helps.
LQ9/4L80 swap (SOLD)
Tilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 12:15 AM   #4
Gmc.guy

Good tip. Forgot about them visors
Old 03-16-2016, 09:56 AM   #5
CSHADES

I actually just did this on the new cab I am going to use for my plow truck. After fighting with the trim, I would recommend using spring clamps to hold all of the trim parts to get them to line up first, I started with the b pillars and lined up the seat belt holes and then started working around the cab, but I had to fudge a little because of where the holes I drilled ended up. It looks good but I would try to get all of the trim lined up with the spring clamps first and then drill the holes after that if I had to do again.
CSHADES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 11:21 AM   #6
blazer2007

Thanks,at least now I have a starting point
blazer2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 07:28 PM   #7
slotard

How about with a headliner that droops, is there a good way to fix it other than replacing it?
Old 03-16-2016, 07:52 PM   #8
Zach079xxx

The million dollar question.. I'm in the same boat, my buddy started patting mine and before I knew it, it was sagging. You know how most people have their hair blowing in the wind? Mine blows in the wind, and is then tickled by the headliner..
Quote:
Originally Posted by slotard View Post
How about with a headliner that droops, is there a good way to fix it other than replacing it?
Thumpin' away
Zach079xxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 09:30 PM   #9
TKCR

If your talking about the fabric drooping, then all you need to do is remove the headliner & remove the fabric. Get some new headliner material and glue to the board. I had to do this to mine, along with changing the color of the fabric.
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 10:03 PM   #10
Gmc.guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKCR View Post
If your talking about the fabric drooping, then all you need to do is remove the headliner & remove the fabric. Get some new headliner material and glue to the board. I had to do this to mine, along with changing the color of the fabric.
^^. X2. Usually nice shape under the droopy fabric. I like to use the earlier ones. They are like a perforated vinyl rather than the fuzzy droopy stuff
Old 03-17-2016, 01:21 PM   #11
slotard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmc.guy View Post
^^. X2. Usually nice shape under the droopy fabric. I like to use the earlier ones. They are like a perforated vinyl rather than the fuzzy droopy stuff
Hmm, mine's a '73 and it's droopy fabric so I guess someone else replaced it at some point.
Old 03-17-2016, 02:23 AM   #12
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKCR View Post
My original interior was maroon and the headliner fabric was drooping. I wanted to change the color to charcoal, so I recovered the headliner. This is how it turned out.
Attached Images

TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote