The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-01-2021, 01:14 PM   #1
Lancialonnie

CPP Rear Discs E-Brake Issues

Hey All,

I just received a phone call from the not so happy mechanic that is installing the CPP disc brakes on my C10 long bed. I made sure to order the long bed cables but now that the calipers are installed there is an issue with the E-brake cables in that there is a cable that connected the 2 drum brakes and then a cable from the E-brake peddle that pulled on the cable connecting the drum brakes. The CPP cables will not work and CPP is saying that is because I have a camper special which is different and they don't have anything that will fit. I didn't think this was a camper special though? Do the drum bakes normally have a cable connecting them or is this something different? Anyone else have problems installing the CPP disc brake E-brake cables? Of course the mechanic wants this figured out so he can free up the lift. Any input appreciated!
Attached Images

Lancialonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 03:38 PM   #2
my67c20

Re: CPP Rear Discs E-Brake Issues

Kinda sorta had the same issue as you, but with cadi brakes. First thing was to make a mount and attach it to the trailing arm. This is the part that locks the brake housing. As you can see from the picture, I did not use the factory location, but did use the connector between the 2. Then I took a piece of all thread, welded a nut on the end and used this as the go between adjuster thing. I did not have to change the other straight holder part that actually pulls on the cable. Hopefully that makes sense.
Attached Images

my67c20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 07:02 PM   #3
Lancialonnie

Thanks my67C20! I think I am following and understanding you and will take your pictures down to the shop. My mechanic and I wee just brainstorming how to make this work but we couldn't figure out how to use the existing cables that were connected to each drum. We'll come up with something I'm sure but it is so frustrating when you buy something that claims to be a complete kit with everything but then it doesn't come with any directions, many of the parts don't fit or won't work and then there are parts thrown in and you scratch your head wondering what they were thinking to throw in something that obviously is for another application. Very frustrating!
Old 11-02-2021, 12:27 AM   #4
Accelo

Everybody claims to be a complete kit with everything included.
Nothing but a running joke in IMHO.
Only ones I have actually seen fit, like it was actually engineered, was the Wilwood brakes. And they cost double what the average enthusiast pays. (Currently the price is $2,083.19) for the brakes that fit the CPP front spindles.

So, the typical hobbyist ends up with something akin to IKEA brakes. Some assembly required. Specifically, the rears as getting the E-brake functional is never easy. I do feel sorry for the poor guy without the experience and tools needed to make them work. If you are paying for the install, it may be less expensive to go Wilwood. The extra labor will eat into the savings quickly. I can feel you frustration, been there.

I recently installed 4-wheel disc brakes on an Impala. The kit was put together by "The Right Stuff". Directions were so poor as they might as well been nonexistent. At first, I thought they included the wrong instructions. It appeared to be the same instruction for every kit they sold. A major amount of fab work was required to get them to function. I received no support from "The Right Stuff" and I did try.

As you can tell this is a sore spot for me. Getting aftermarket brakes functional and safe is a big undertaking. Especially the hoses and lines on our C10's. I went through three sets of front brake hoses before I got a set that worked without rubbing. The lowered spindles relocated the calipers. It required a 3/4T brake hose on the 1/2T.

My friend did a plug and play on his 1969 Camaro so I know it's possible. Feedback on vendors that did it right, the first time, would be appreciated. The board members should collaborate and figure out the best options for out constituents.

And don’t forget the wheels. Vendors typically leave the wheel clearance issues out of the literature. The advocate their responsibility by stating; “It’s impossible to tell what fits and what doesn’t. As there are too many options”. Some general guidelines are possible. One can also assemble on hub, set the caliper on the rotor and insert the assemble onto the wheel. This should be the first step when your kit arrives.
Be careful out there.
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 12:54 AM   #5
Accelo

You will never see stuff like this from most other brake vendors.
Attached Images

Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 10:09 PM   #6
Lancialonnie

I'll take some pictures but the shop did figure out a solution. They had to cut the outer cable shielding and use some sort of adjustable ends as well as cut the cables and use barrel clamps but...the brakes don't work nearly as well as I had hoped. I know they need some time to break in and settle so I hope they get better. The E brake doesn't hold on a hill but there is still some more adjustment and the brakes, CPP discs all around with a new disc/disc proportioning valve, will not lock up. When I slam on the brakes they do work but the peddle goes down a ways as the brakes ease into stopping. Not scary but not locking up.

Oh and CPP sent the longer wheels studs which didn't fit the axles! We had to buy the lug nuts with a longer shoulder that goes into the wheel in order to make this work rather than try and get different studs.

I'm another victim of cheap Chinese manufacturing while an American company makes some money off of me!

I had a long conversation with my mechanic about the changes he's seen in the hot rod parts market over the years. You used to be able to talk with the engineers and design folks but now you can only reach some sales guy that will tell you "It should fit and if not you'll have to get creative and figure it out"!

I feel you Accelo!
Old 11-04-2021, 08:56 AM   #7
my67c20

Excellent that you found a solution. Not sure if the CPP calipers function like the Cadi ones, but when setting the e-brake you need to be pressing the brakes, since its the fluid pressure moving the pads versus the cable pulling the shoes together.
my67c20 is offline   Reply With Quote