The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-27-2011, 07:09 PM   #1
byates2

HEI upgrade

I have a 67 c10. i put a whole new engine in. I originally had a 283 now i have a 383 stroker in it. I put a MSD Street Fire in the engine. I ordered the stock engine harness from classicparts.com but i think that harness is designed for the old points style.
How should i go about wiring this distributor in. do they make an engine harness that allows for an MSD HEI distributor
Also i forgot to mark the old distributor rotor position on the engine, i just took it out, how hard will it be to time it correctly
Old 12-27-2011, 09:38 PM   #2
panhandler62
Java Mechanic

Re: HEI upgrade

Power the distributor with a 12v source that is on for key on (unfused 12v outlet should be open) The wire in the stock replacement harness powers the distributor with a high impedance wire that drops several volts. It won't work well, if at all, with an HEI.

To static time the motor pull the plug from #1 and hold your thumb over the hole. When the pressure pushes your thumb off you should be near or at TDC on the compression stroke. Stab the distributor to aim the rotor contact at the number 1 tower.

That should be close enough to run and time to specs from there.
68 C20 Fleetside -- RIP
Decorating the whole town up at a cost of $27 ....
panhandler62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:01 PM   #3
sapper4

One of the vendors on here, Classic Heartbeat, has the engine harness ready made for HEI. I have one ordered one for my inline 6, but still need to order one for my 350.
sapper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 12:45 PM   #4
HEI451
Account Suspended

On the large cap HEI's, to base set the tming once the distributor is in place and rotor aimed correctly, pull the rotor off, set the timng to the degrees you want, and align the 8 reluctor (outer) tips on the magnetic pickup, to the 8 rotor (inner) tips under the rotor. This will get you within a couple of degrees of the actual timing you desire.
HEI451 is offline   Reply With Quote