The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-16-2010, 07:53 PM   #1
Tom
driving is in my blood

Tweeter location in my 98

I have the component set in the stock locations in my 98. Would it help if I angled them instead of the standerd flat mounting they have there? How should I aim them to get the best sound? I want to keep the system hidden and stock looking so moving them somewhere else isen't an option.

Heres a pic I just found online. Not my truck but it shows where the tweeters are. They are under the mesh right in front of the rearview mirror control http://www.dccarcare.com/images/Whee...coverjason.jpg
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 06:25 AM   #2
Brett09

Re: Tweeter location in my 98

If memory serves me correct you can mount the tweeters in the vents in the dash for the defrost on the wind shield. That would give you the best imaging and raise the sound stage. If your heart is set on the stock locations you can always take the door panel off and bend the tabs out on the stock speaker grill. Take them off and put the door panels back on the truck so you can play around with the tweets. Use a laser pointer and angle the tweeters towards each ear. If YOU hear a difference between flat and angled then there you go. Your ear hears music different then mine so what sounds good to you may not sound good to me.

As far as installing it...piece of pie. Get a sheet of 12"x12" abs plastic form any local stereo shop or the e-net and trace out the old factory tweeter with something pointed like a pick a leather awl. If you want to mount the tweeter flat just cut out the scribed line and hole saw out the middle for the tweeter. If you want it angled just trace the old tweeter and heat the abs with a heat gun. Place the abs on a flat surface with a hole about an inch or more bigger then the tweeter and push the tweeters mounting cup from the back side to the desired angle. You can always re-heat and adjust if you don't get it the first time. Once its right you can cut it out and mount it to the shock location.

GL and I hope I helped give you a few ideas on your project. Post some pics when you get it done.

Brett

Last edited by Brett09; 07-17-2010 at 06:27 AM.
Brett09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 01:58 PM   #3
Tom
driving is in my blood

Heck ya. I am set on the stock locations for now, my dash falling apart from the arizona sun helps not wanting to move them up there lol. The Abs is a great idea, I wouldn't have thought of that. I had just wanted to know if there was a 'correct' way to set them up or it was just personal taste.
Old 07-17-2010, 05:47 PM   #4
Brett09

Sorry sorry, I wrote the post when I got back from pizza and had a few to many beers. To answer your actual question, yes pointing the speakers are your ears would be the correct way of installing them. With that said there are two things to consider. 1) Some people can't tell a difference and rather mount them with more of a stock look. 2) Pointing them at your ears without doing the same thing with the mids can sound a bit bright/loud. Your best bet is to install the mids and run the wires to the tweeters. You can ball a small piece of tape to angle it up and play around with what angle sounds best to you. Tape the tweeter into place and listen. Once you figure out what sonds best to you then take it from there.

As far as putting the tweeters in the vents you would mount them in the vent right before it gets to the window. So the location would be in the duct itself. You cut a hole in the vent and install it in the duct so it flush and doesn't block the air flow. Sounds like you are set in location but I just wanted to explain the idea a bit more so you know your options.

One last thing to consider it when you mount the mid on the door its not a bad idea to pick up some speaker baffles to mount the speaker in. Most of the time it's a cheap way to improve the sound of the mid. Also it doesn't hurt to use a small piece of hard board behind the door panel to mount the mid. It will help stiffen up the mounting location.

Hope some of this helps.
Brett
Brett09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 01:07 PM   #5
Bad70sbchevy

One thing to check is to make sure you got room to move the tweeter around. I redid a friend of mine's 1996 tahoe and them 200W Boss audio tweeters barely fit, much less being able to move them around. I know that grill for them comes out without takin the door panel out but I don't know if there was enough slack to attach the wires. That mid in the door (I'm taking it yall are talkin about the 6.5" speaker) might be a little bit of a pain to take out since the speaker isn't screwed to the door. It slides in and has some clip on it, they might have changed it since 1996. I had to "persuade" it out with a big flathead screwdriver and drill some pilot holes for the screws.
Bad70sbchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 04:38 PM   #6
Tom
driving is in my blood

I've already mounted the system in the stock locations without any problems and had a shop wire everything up [kicker 650.4 bi-amping the components] I just want to make sure Im getting everything from the system that I can