The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-02-2012, 11:47 PM   #1
davepl

Do you love your parts washer?

I'm looking to buy a parts washer to help in my frame-off, for things like control arms and other grimy items. I was thinking of a drum-mounted so I could get a chemical service company to come out and change the drum as needed, though I wouldn't need it anywhere near as often as a real shop would. I'd rather not have the hassle and liability of trying to dispose of the solvents myself, I figure.

Any reason -not- to get a drum-mount?

It looks like the 20gal units on Amazon in the $150 range are getting poor reviews and the Snap-on unit is like $1500, out of my market.

I was hoping there'd be something in the $300 range that's not total junk, but it helps to get recommendations from people that like their unit.

So... anyone have a parts washer they like that they can recommend?

- Dave
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 12:09 AM   #2
davepl

Re: Do you love your parts washer?

BTW, if anyone knows roughly what it costs for Safety-Kleen to come out and replace the drum, I'm curious. I've speent the last 20 minutes trying to find it on their website, but other than a $20 fuel surcharge (!) due to diesel prices, I can't find it...
Old 03-03-2012, 12:19 AM   #3
Livrat
Member #1049

I have the old "sink on a 30 gal drum" washer. I bought it at Costco many years ago so cannot really recommend a particular brand,
Safety Kleen has gotten so expensive for the service and they will put you on a contract and show up every six weeks to the tune of $250 or so..
I have found if you travel down to their Auburn store and get 3 of their home units, a 5 gal plastic container/washer tub, dump it all in your sink on a drum, use it till its dirty, dump it back in their home unit and return it when needed. they run about $50 each.
Livrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 12:41 AM   #4
GMR-PERFORMANCE

safety kleen I pay 109 bucks for the fluid change every 3 months or earlier if I need it but I have two units, But the washer is free ..
GMR-PERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 12:15 PM   #5
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

This is gonna sound a little bit crazy but here goes.Look for a used self heating dishwasher.Or Hook it up to hot water and use one of the dry powder degreasers.Run your parts in it.I know it sound crazy and the seals will eventually go out,but if you look at auto matic parts washers from "Hotsy","Landa" and other companies,you will find that they are just heavy duty versions of a dishwaher.Alternately you can wait until your better half is out of town and use the one in the kitchen.Just scrape and wire brush as much as possible first like you would with any parts washer.Most of the commercial powder degreasers are also eco friendly.i.e. you can dump it in the sewer but not the storm drain
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 12:34 PM   #6
eightbanger
454 MAKES IT ROAR

I do mine by hand in the shower..

Sorry!

An American living in a British body.

1971 Chevy Cheyenne 10 454

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty" - Thomas Jefferson

No more pain.
03.12.60 -- 12.28.10

http://www.youtube.com/Eightbanger
eightbanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:32 PM   #7
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepl View Post
BTW, if anyone knows roughly what it costs for Safety-Kleen to come out and replace the drum, I'm curious. I've speent the last 20 minutes trying to find it on their website, but other than a $20 fuel surcharge (!) due to diesel prices, I can't find it...
Safety-Kleen has more fees and charges for this that and the other. I had a quote from them of 150 to come out and change my solvent. By the time I got the bill it was 235 with fuel charges epa charges, and others. They set me up on a monthly change , I want "on call" and I had to fight them on that. I use it only on occasion. I finally had to throw the driver out of the shop and tell him not to come back. They charged me a fuel surcharged of $18 and didn't even move their truck from the customer across the alley. You can get good solvent from a local supplier and its about the same cost . The issue is when its dirty you need a way of getting rid of it.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:49 PM   #8
davepl

Thanks for the info! I'll call them on Monday and find out about whether they'll do "come when I call but not on a schedule", which I imagine they won't want to do.

You can buy the parts washer on their website, but variously I've heard they give it to you for free if you sign up for the service. Did you pay for yours or was it gratis with the service plan?
Old 03-04-2012, 02:16 AM   #9
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

The service was $235 the first time and like $180 the next time so the solvent is never actually free. But it I needed to get rid of the old stuff that was beyond useful and that was expensive if I just had a recycler come get it. If you crud it up often then it may be worth the cost but I had my original solvent for 4 or 5 years before it was to dirty to clean.
Old 03-04-2012, 02:29 AM   #10
davepl

No, I meant the actual parts washer machine itself; it's listed on their website for $600 or something. Did you ever have to outlay the cash for it or did they just give it to you when you got your first drum of solvent at signup time?
Old 03-04-2012, 02:31 AM   #11
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

I had the washer, its a 40 gallon washer, but you can get one from Northertool for $150 thats 25 gallon
Old 03-11-2012, 01:08 AM   #12
W. Higgins

Find a good used Graymills Clean-O-Matic parts washer. It may take some looking, but a decent one can be had in the $500 range. You won't regret it. Eventually, you'll want to do something like set a transmission in there and the piece of mind you get from not having to worry about your parts washer toppling over on you is priceless. You can also straddle a differential over it and wash it out:

http://partswashers-pumps.graymills....parts-washers?

I hate Safety-Kleen and use FCC Environmental, but they don't reach your corner of the country. There is probably a similar alternative out your way. FCC will come only when I call (which at times has been years) and are very reasonable on their solvent prices -- about a 1/3rd of Safety-Kleen's prices. Having a drum saves you nothing. These guys travel with pumps and will pump out the old and pump in the new.
W. Higgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:10 PM   #13
RAYDAY

i got a cheap china one from craigslist for 30$ use off road deisle in it work great. cost $40 to refill/change
http://www.myrideisme.com/Garage/az480
half-assed build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post5206828
RAYDAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:07 PM   #14
davepl

What do you refill/change it with for $40? What kind of solvent?
Old 03-11-2012, 09:54 PM   #15
RAYDAY

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepl View Post
What do you refill/change it with for $40? What kind of solvent?
DEISLE i use off road grade its cheaper!lol works as good as the solevent thats 3 time the $$$$$$
http://www.myrideisme.com/Garage/az480
half-assed build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post5206828
RAYDAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:50 AM   #16
Weasel Diesel

"Do You Love Your Parts Washer?" Yep, shure do... been married to her for 20 years... she cooks good too.... Seriously... I have the one from Summit Racing, does great and I buy my solvent at Tractor Supply.
Weasel Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 06:59 PM   #17
_Ogre

i use an oil drain pan and buy gallon jugs of mineral spirits.
probably only bought 4 gallons in 6 years...

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:59 AM   #18
butch86

i made one of my own from an old stainless steel sink for the manual side and for a cabinate side i osed black pipe to make 2 sprayer poles with high pressure nozzels 5 down each side and 4 on top. only the nozzels are inside the can (55 gal) i have a old 14inch wheel in the bottom that spins inside about 20 rpm hooked to a 1/3rd hp electric motor. i have a old 10 gal electric water heater from and old rv that i run the solvent through. it only heats the solvent to about 110degree but that cleans it well with good solvent in it. i get the powder solvent from a local dealer. the presure is provided by an old pump and motor from a industeral preassure washer. it has a few strainers and filters on it i have to clean out after every good use. its a decent pay out for the job it does cleaning
Old 04-24-2012, 08:55 AM   #19
ETsC10
Hand Crafted C-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by butch86 View Post
i made one of my own from an old stainless steel sink for the manual side and for a cabinate side i osed black pipe to make 2 sprayer poles with high pressure nozzels 5 down each side and 4 on top. only the nozzels are inside the can (55 gal) i have a old 14inch wheel in the bottom that spins inside about 20 rpm hooked to a 1/3rd hp electric motor. i have a old 10 gal electric water heater from and old rv that i run the solvent through. it only heats the solvent to about 110degree but that cleans it well with good solvent in it. i get the powder solvent from a local dealer. the presure is provided by an old pump and motor from a industeral preassure washer. it has a few strainers and filters on it i have to clean out after every good use. its a decent pay out for the job it does cleaning
Sounds intriguing. Any pics?

I surely prefer the self-owned idea but there may be room for the contracted
services for some of us.

I'm not big on cleaning service companies, but with the high price of solvent and
proper disposal (not to mention the nasty job of cleaning out a dirty solvent tank),
the cost can be easier to justify.
There are definite advantages to their owning the equipment as well... if/when the pump,
fire melt or electrical gives up the ghost, they cover the equipment.

Forum Guidelines and Rules
Buying and Selling Code of Conduct
Become a Board Supporter!
Truck FAQ

Ellen... the boards artsy-fartsy, eclectic, truck-lovin' gal-member...
ETsC10 is offline   Reply With Quote