The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-16-2013, 02:56 PM   #1
59chev

Camaro clip Question

Hey guys,

I am planning on clipping my 59 chevy with an 81 Camaro clip this fall. It will be done in the clip under the frame style.

One question I have is in regards to the overlap in the camaro frame clip. Since the top of the subframe isn't level did you weld in a plate on top of the camaro clip to level it out before you welded it to the bottom of the truck frame?

See attached pic.
Attached Images

59chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:30 PM   #2
retired1

Re: Camaro clip Question

No, I didn't. Didn't see any problem.
retired1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:06 PM   #3
Wheelie

Same here, I didnt bother. Just built the bead up real good. Also make sure to move around in one to two inch welds or it will twist on you.
Old 09-17-2013, 12:21 PM   #4
Aaronoregon

Do yourself a favor and do it the right way. They look morphodited and hacked in under the frame rail like that. It will take just as long or less to do it right. I just did one that took about 5 hours to complete. Also, don't forget to move spindles forward 1-1/2" to center the wheels in the fender opening.

Aaron
Aaronoregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 01:17 PM   #5
Indian113

I've done it both ways and the under frame way seems easier and stronger plus I trust my welds better that way!
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 03:27 PM   #6
OrrieG

Under the frame looks hacked in my opinion. Over on the HAMB board is a thread that has become the "how-to" for clipping. When done that way it looks seamless and right. Keep in mind you might want to sell it someday and sellers will notice the difference.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:46 PM   #7
mr48chev

This is the HAMB thread that OrrieG mentioned. Lux Blue has lost count of how many subframe swaps he has done on those trucks and his method is fairly simple and quite strong. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=148978

It may not be as "clean" as the way ArronOregon is thinking with the rails butted to the ends of the frame rails but to me that way has more issues and that is probably because I have done it that way before.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 01:18 AM   #8
59chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
This is the HAMB thread that OrrieG mentioned. Lux Blue has lost count of how many subframe swaps he has done on those trucks and his method is fairly simple and quite strong. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=148978

It may not be as "clean" as the way ArronOregon is thinking with the rails butted to the ends of the frame rails but to me that way has more issues and that is probably because I have done it that way before.

Thanks for the responses everyone. The HAMB thread was what made me first consider this swap in the first place when I read it a couple of years ago. What I couldn't tell is if there was any additional prep needed on the subframe regarding leveling out the "step" before welding it to the bottom of the truck frame. What I couldn't tell from the pictures is if the truck frame sits on one side or the other of the little step or if it overlaps the joint where the two halves of the subframe rails are welded together on the top.

From what it seems like though it isn't an issue. I just wanted to make sure it just wasn't just an assumed part of the process to weld a plat to the lower half of the step to level things out.
59chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 10:53 AM   #9
PDW HOTRODS

Under the frame makes it much easier to keep the angle right also. If you butt it togather and tip the nose up or down just a couple degrees, you will have problems with the alignment. Also that area that is lower is where the trans mount goes. You might want to use the crossmember that goes to the subframe.
PDW HOTRODS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 01:48 PM   #10
buggy5872

The one on my 59 still has frame extending back under the truck frame. It was easy to get it lined up and geomerty correct. I used big c clamps to hold it together while I lined it up. I don't care that you can tell it was added.
1957 3100 with 59 fleetside bed
1957 5700 LCF Crew Cab "Big Bertha",1959 GMC F370
1958 GMC 600, 1946 Chevy, 1959 Viking 60 LCF
1974 Elcamino SS, 1979 6500 GMC Tilt Bed Wrecker
Big Bertha Build
buggy5872 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 02:50 PM   #11
1-ton of fun
polishing a turd

i cut them off to make the frames blend together and not looked tacked on. if you don't mind that look, then knock yourself out!

53 buick special - straight 8 sled - blow through turbo
47 gmc - flatbed hot rod build
99 ford econoline e350 - 4x4 converted family roadtrip/overlanding rig AKA 'Monstervan' AKA 'Daddy-Van'
1-ton of fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 04:12 PM   #12
59weasel

i ran mine under the truck frame. studied alot of different ways for months (even bought the no-limit dvd) and decided it was the way i was going. took the most time just cutting and grinding the truck frame to "line up" to the curve of the Camaro sub frame. My dad who built all his own circle track stock cars for over 20 yrs. from frame up, and a friend who had raced desert trucks and now builds and runs the 1/4 mile helped me square it up and get it tacked on. took us about 2-3 hrs. of a WHOLE LOTTA MEASURING and grinding and measuring again and get it set. all done i'm 1/16" - 1/8" out of square from corner to corner. We thought for a 1959 chevy pick-up....it was good to go. i think it looks fine as i don't plan on ever selling or trying to enter some hotrod nationals with it. besides....."if their lookin that close their lookin to steal something"! as my buddy would say.
'06 Silverado 2500HD (daily driver)
'12 Equinox (wifes ride)
'66 Chevy LWB (daughters ride)
59weasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 05:53 PM   #13
mr48chev

One of my buddies has done about 25 of them. He actually lost count of how many he has done.

Here is how he does them. They won't win extra show points for being slick and smooth but they work.

One thing I have to emphasize is to get the Camaro stub exactly parallel with the Chevy frame. Don't get tempted to build in any rake into the splice as it doesn't work out. There are a couple of self styled experts floating around the forums that suggest that for guys who want to put a rake on their subframed rigs and it ends up making a mess you have a hard time dealing with. You want the truck's frame to be a direct extension of the subframe when you are done.

I've done two of my own, my 48 pickup and the 51 Merc coupe I had and put close to 100k on each of them including road trips from Washington to Texas in both of them at different times. Both handled the road great.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:46 PM   #14
Speedbumpauto

I did mine exactly that same way, but didn't extend the exterior frame past the cab mount, I dead ended it at the cab mount bracket. You need to be very careful because the ride ht. is very low already. I can show you a ride ht. pic of mine if you want. Doing it under the frame will raise the ride ht. 4-5 inches.
Speedbumpauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 08:04 AM   #15
Mac the Yankee

mr48chev,

I like how your friend grafted th clip in- what kind of ground clearance does he wind up with? Also, does he slot the top of the clip to slide the truck frame in, or trim and fit one to the other?

Planning to clip my '56 over fall break in October (I teach middle school band) and will share pics as we go along.

Thanks, Bill
Mac the Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 02:39 PM   #16
akdg87

i tried a different approach by doing a frame swap, it turned out to be alot easier than i thought

akdg87 is offline   Reply With Quote