The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-07-2007, 11:56 AM   #1
gferris5

Lightbulb Junk-Yard Shopping list

Hey Kids-
I saw the other junk-yard thread and I thought it would be cool to make a list of items we usually look for when we go to the junkyard. If you have some thing and you want to keep it a secret--say you know of a yard in Barstow that has 50 ZL1's sitting in a climate-controlled locker for sale for $50 each, no one is going to fault you. Other than that, let's start a list of things that we can consult before making yard trips.

Here's how I think it could work and be useful. Say, for instance that we are looking for a certain rear-end. Saying: "get a rear-end" isn't that useful. BUT, if we say: Look for late 70's bronco's because they came with high pinion Dana 44's. Use the same format for transmissions, engines, anything. Having a compiled list could come in handy. I will try to edit this post to update with the items as they come in. Shouldn't be that long. What I'll do is update the list from people's posts, but if you want more details, you should read into the specific posts where that item is mentioned.

Some useful items would be:
1. Front ends to use for disc-brake swaps, years, models, what to snag.

2. Years for tilt columns.
-chevy vans

3. Years and models for different transmissions (this might not be worth it)
-81-87 Chevy half tons and vans with manual tranny,many had the desirable A833/NP440/MY6 overdrive 4 speed tranny

4. Bench seat models and years--if different from the obvious.
-dodge buddy buckets can be easily adapted to our trucks.
-bucket seats from chevy lumina minivan, $40, sit at perfect height just drill some holes

5. Engines
-454 and trans from a '74 Caprice Classic 4-door

6. Electric radiator fans.
-mid 80's Taurus electric fans

7. Odds-and ends, such as filler necks for doing gas-tank relocations, sway bars from beefier models, Under-hood lights, handy wiring for stuff, etc etc.
- A-C controls from 65-66 impalas are same as our trucks
-early GM cars with metal e-brake handles that are chrome,screw on type.
-early GM cars with metal,chrome A-C balls same size as our trucks
-speedwarning buzzers from early GM cars can all be made to work on our trucks.
- sway bars from 73 up 2wd and 4wd GM trucks.
-van AM/FM radios (not identical, but close).
-GM van side marker lights.
-rear license plate buckets,73-87 trucks,73-91 blazers, will fit our trucks.
-6 cylinder p-s from chevy cars/trucks.
-Power steering from 73-8? about $50 (get bracketts, check for worn outness)--out of other trucks
-sway bar from 84 chevy dually, mount frame to swaybar brackets (make sure to get these when get sway bar) $25
-Radiator Dimensions are the same as the Aluminum units in '89-'93 Chevy Trucks, not sure if the Flow is the same though.
-camaro tachs
-mid 70's 6 cyinder novas and, pull the electronic distrubutor AND external coils

8. Rear Ends
-any chevrolet/GMC dana 44/10 bolt front differential will fit our trucks-60-87 on trucks and up to 91 on blazers and suburbans.

Okay, have at it! We'll see if this is a good idea or not.

Last edited by gferris5; 07-25-2007 at 11:12 PM. Reason: updated the list
gferris5 is offline   Reply With Quote