The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-03-2014, 04:02 PM   #1
low&slow
Account Suspended

Finally at it again......slowly

Bare with me guys. Questions at the bottom. Trying not to loose interest again.

Well guys for about the last year I've been neglecting my truck. I completely lost interest in anything automotive related, but I still lurked around on this site. For about the last 4 months, every time my buddy came over, we'd drink and talk about getting back to work on the truck the next day. That never happened, until.......4 days ago. We started having a few drinks about 3 hrs before it got dark. We then started to talk about the truck and since it was still light out we began to work on it.

2 hrs later, we finally finished plumbing the gas tank (leaked real bad before). Then had to go get gas..duh.
Now its about midnight and we finally get the truck to start using the moon for some light.
Well that was it for that day.

Couple days later, we got it running (w/out jump starting it), put some fluid in, and drove it down the street.

Well now I have noticed that it seems like the throttle sticks a little, but the linkage is completely free to move. Sometimes when I rev it a bit, it doesn't always drop back down.

Also, every time I shut the truck off, the carb smokes for about 5 minutes.

And one more thing, Some times I will just be idling around the yard and the power will just cut out. Stop, put it in park, and starts right back up.

So, what's going on here? Has never done any of this before.
low&slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 04:23 PM   #2
68shortwide

Re: Finally at it again......slowly

I'd say try rebuilding or buy a new carb, it sounds like its gummed up since it sat. But that's just me, see what others say.
1968 ShortWide
1969 ShortStep
68shortwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 05:13 PM   #3
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 10:00 PM   #4
low&slow
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68shortwide View Post
I'd say try rebuilding or buy a new carb, it sounds like its gummed up since it sat. But that's just me, see what others say.
That's an idea. I had it rebuilt in 2012 and only ran the truck for a day every month. Then it sat for most of 2013 till now.

I may just pull it off and have it looked at since I have an 800 cfm Edlebrock sitting on the shelf that's been rebuilt and never ran. If the one on the truck needs rebuilt, then I'll have it rebuilt since I like my 750 double pump holley better.

With the carb being gummed up, would that also explain the random shut off and making it feel like the throttle is sticky?
Old 08-03-2014, 11:02 PM   #5
68shortwide

It could explain the throttle sticking, something internal sticking open, not sure on the random shutoffs, I like holleys too
1968 ShortWide
1969 ShortStep
68shortwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 11:45 PM   #6
In The Ten Ring

I've been neglecting my truck too, but for different reasons. I took a full-time job with a swing shift but now that has finally become part-time (what I was looking for) I have time for the truck again.

I've bought some more parts for her and tomorrow I plan to work on the fuel lines again. If I can get her running before fall I will be so happy!
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 12:09 AM   #7
low&slow
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68shortwide View Post
It could explain the throttle sticking, something internal sticking open, not sure on the random shutoffs, I like holleys too
I was thinking maybe the primaries are sticking or even secondaries. The choke moves freely though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Ten Ring View Post
I've been neglecting my truck too, but for different reasons. I took a full-time job with a swing shift but now that has finally become part-time (what I was looking for) I have time for the truck again.

I've bought some more parts for her and tomorrow I plan to work on the fuel lines again. If I can get her running before fall I will be so happy!
Glad to here you're getting back on your truck as well. Sounds like we started on the same thing. Mine needed new lines too.