The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-17-2014, 09:09 PM   #1
mcgoo26

New Guy. 72 C10 longbed

Hello everyone, just wanted to drop by and say Hi. Backstory on my truck: The truck is a 72 longbed that belonged to my grandfather. He bought it in 76 or so with about 24000 miles on it and was the second owner. When he passed in 97, my dad took over ownership of the truck and pretty much everything else my grandfather had. This last October, i received word by way of my brother that I needed to come collect the truck or my dad was going to sell it. So, due to the sentimental value, I paid $550 to have the truck sent here to Tucson. When I took received the truck, the engine would not start with the key, there was some off the wall stuff going on with the wiring to the starter (lead from the battery to the starter, lead from the starter to nothing which was being used to touch the + terminal on the battery to make the truck start and the ignition wire was lost in the shuffle) the battery wasn't holding a charge and the alternator was not charging. Replaced/rewired the starter correctly, changed alternator and voltage regulator an d replace the battery. Guess what? Started and ran just fine. To date, I have done all that, replaced the plugs and wires and drained, flushed and filled the radiator. Here are some pics. I look forward to chatting with everyone and learning a few things along the way.
Attached Images

mcgoo26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 09:14 PM   #2
mcgoo26

Re: New Guy. 72 C10 longbed

There are a few issues of coarse I need to address. Rust spots on both doors, drip rail and over all surface rust in areas. The rust spots on the doors and the passenger kick panel are the worse so far. Also, the wiring is a mess and need to rewire the whole truck here soon. Any advice on repairs or how to stuff would be welcome. This truck will be a big learning experience in many areas. Thanks again.
Attached Images

Old 12-17-2014, 09:21 PM   #3
JHT67

I like it, and it was grandpa's.
Going through life's daily grind, I can feel the effects of this physical body's fleeting days, But with a young spirit I look toward a brighter day, knowing that in the eyes of eternity, I am but a babe in the arms of my Lord.........
JHT67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 09:23 PM   #4
mcgoo26

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHT67 View Post
I like it, and it was grandpa's.
Indeed it was. Third generation in the family. Time to do a restore on it. Thanks!
Old 12-18-2014, 10:09 AM   #5
Lokin4AReason

welcome to the board ....

nice start with a pretty complete truck =0)
Old 12-18-2014, 10:45 AM   #6
68shortwide

Welcome fro Stl, love the story and the truck!
1968 ShortWide
1969 ShortStep
68shortwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 05:04 PM   #7
88Ironduke

Nice to see another truck with a family history!

Paul

My Build Thread: Project 72' Green
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=587932
88Ironduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 05:38 PM   #8
davepl

Cool! Nothing like a family legacy vehicle. I always like to jump in here with my 5-generation car (who have ridden in it, anyway). Dad bought it new in '69, when I was 1. It became mine in '82, he passed away in '96, and it got a full frame-off when I finally had the resources. Left one is 1970, right one is about 4 years ago (my son on the right has since figured out how to smile for pictures normally, so time for a new one!).

I remember my great-grandmother, multiple grandparents, ,y parents, me and my brother, and now my own kids in it. If I can hold out for grandchild eventually, and you can still drive these things then, I'll shoot for six generations!
Attached Images

davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 08:57 PM   #9
mcgoo26

Awesome. Five generations. The cool thing is, is that my father-in-law has a first generation C10 that my wife will more than likely inherit later on down the line. It will need a whole lot of work more than my 71. Apparently it was painted by my father-in-law with boat paint, so it will be fun to clean up. Then my mom has a 71 Chevelle that is in pretty good shape and she has taken care of it over the years. Had a new paint job and engine done sometime in early '90s. Kept in a garage under a car cover. At some point I will inherit that one. So needless to say, I need a bigger garage or some land or something. Thanks for sharing your story.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:01 PM   #10
mcgoo26

Oh and I forgot. It looks like the truck will go onto one of my kids later on in life and if all goes well, it will be in a whole lot better shape than when I got it. I have two girls and a boy (11, 6, and 4) who will want to dig into some of the project and have memories with it like I had with my grandpa and all. Amazing how some vehicles can represent such a huge sentimental value to its owners and become an heirloom of sorts passed down from generation-to-generation.