The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-02-2015, 01:05 PM   #1
Mr_Rich

Trans pan question

I realized that it's time for a fluid change in my 700R4 that I installed 35K miles ago. I pay close attention to my engine oil, but the trans oil is one I tended to overlook. I started on a trip down south in 100 degree heat a week ago and when I made a rest stop for my dog after thirty miles my trans was dripping trans fluid and the back of my truck and undercarriage was just spotted with oil mist. I thought, "Oh $h!#", and topped off the quart I was low and headed back home.
I washed the undercarriage when it cooled off and removed the lower bell housing cover for an inspection. Everything seemed to be good as far as expensive repairs go. I tightened down the test plug on the driver's side of the trans and re-torqued the pan bolts. That seemed to take care of the worst of the trouble.
On my original 700R4 I ran a B&M deep trans pan and I went 230K+ miles on that trans. I was thinking of using a deep 4L60E pan from the 96-98 year trucks on my 700R4, but some of the sites say the part won't fit. Is there something different on the trans pans that I'm not aware of? I have a K-truck so room to fit is not a problem unless the layout or bolt pattern is different on the later trans. ???
1997 K2500 Chev. EC 7.4L/ 4L80E
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 HD R/C
Mr_Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 11:41 AM   #2
Bigdav160

Re: Trans pan question

Did you fiquire out where the fluid was coming from? Sounds like it was coming from the vent to me. It could be the torque converter didn't lock up and the fluid started to overheat.

As far as the pan goes, the bolt pattern is the same. The filters do not interchange. The tubes are different sizes. There would not be anything holding the filter in place except the friction of the seal. Some aftermarket deep pans have small spikes to hold the filter up.

They also sell a filter extension for deep pan use.
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 01:50 PM   #3
Mr_Rich

Re: Trans pan question

That's about as good a reason as any. I didn't know about the tube sizes on the filters. Thanks for the heads up on that fact. I'll use an extension if that's the case. I've been checking for spots under my truck now and so far so good. I think the heat wave has passed for now and that helps too.
1997 K2500 Chev. EC 7.4L/ 4L80E
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 HD R/C
Mr_Rich is offline   Reply With Quote