The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-15-2022, 03:12 PM   #1
Ziegelsteinfaust

Gooseneck trailers vs ball hitch.

A guy I know wants to custom build a trailer due to spacial limitations of his driveway. The width of the trailer has to be less then 8 foot, but be able to carry his Model A easily. Along with a typical other car. He has a F150 extended cab with the 2.7 ecoboost. I know the nerve of some people right??? It has a 4/6 drop on it, and has I think 18 factory wheels.

He recently borrowed my Dads trailer to haul it a couple states away for a car show he always wanted to go too. He did not like the way my Dads trailer handled even with his helper air bags. Which is normal, but it is something you have to be used too I guess.

So would a goose neck possibly provide the better quality ride he wants? Since weight would be directly on top of the axle now rather then 3 foot behind on a ball hitch?

I have seen people custom build a gooseneck for 1/2 tons for better control, but honestly I have no idea how well it plays out in real life.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 03:45 PM   #2
57taskforce
All about them K’s

Re: Gooseneck trailers vs ball hitch.

He needs to buy a more capable truck, heavier duty truck if he wants towing experience with less “pucker factor”. The towing ratings they put on all of these modern trucks are insane in my honest opinion. Not to mention, that ecoboost is known to have big problems with heat when towing even remotely close to the limit.
‘69 K10 SWB http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805206
'98 Silverado LT K2500HD ECLB Vortec 454/4l80E: 6" lift 315/75/16's
‘87 IROC-Z all original 50K mile survivor TPI 305 IROC Blue
‘10 Camaro 2SS/RS Aqua Blue Metallic #93 -version 2.0
57taskforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 03:46 PM   #3
Boog
laying low

My experience is pulling bumper pull trailers for years until I bought my 5th wheel camper. Total different feel. By moving the hitch to over the rear axle you move the pin weight forward better balancing the load. It tows so much better there and you have reduced porpoising.
Really, if he's going to pull a trailer with 2 cars he needs at the very least a 3/4 ton with good springs and brakes. An F150 with that drop and that engine is not reasonable. Sure some people may get away with it but some won't. He needs to look into his truck's tow rating and add up his trailer weight and the two cars and see if it all fits.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 04:48 PM   #4
Ziegelsteinfaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57taskforce View Post
He needs to buy a more capable truck, heavier duty truck if he wants towing experience with less “pucker factor”. The towing ratings they put on all of these modern trucks are insane in my honest opinion. Not to mention, that ecoboost is known to have big problems with heat when towing even remotely close to the limit.
A 1 car trailer is well with in 1/2 ton limts. How big does he need to go?
Old 02-15-2022, 04:49 PM   #5
Ziegelsteinfaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
My experience is pulling bumper pull trailers for years until I bought my 5th wheel camper. Total different feel. By moving the hitch to over the rear axle you move the pin weight forward better balancing the load. It tows so much better there and you have reduced porpoising.
Really, if he's going to pull a trailer with 2 cars he needs at the very least a 3/4 ton with good springs and brakes. An F150 with that drop and that engine is not reasonable. Sure some people may get away with it but some won't. He needs to look into his truck's tow rating and add up his trailer weight and the two cars and see if it all fits.
No it's a 1 car trailer for his Model A that can also carry a regular car. Not both at the same time.
Old 02-15-2022, 05:01 PM   #6
Dead Parrot

A lot depends on how the drop was done and what kind of wheels/tires the truck has. It sounds like he wanted a passenger car height and ride and now wants to do truck things. If it was ordered with the 'light duty' option package, which seems likely with a 2.7 motor, he may be out of luck. Even if he gets a hitch setup that rides well, likely the drive train will die soon after. A lot of the 10k+ tow ratings only kick in if you order the truck with the larger motors and transmissions. On my Escape, the 4 cylinder had a 1500lb limit. The V6 got you to 3500lb.

Another option would be to try a load leveling hitch setup.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 05:11 PM   #7
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Without knowing the details of the trailer itself,and how he had his load balanced, it's hard to say ..
I've seen trailers with axles set at 50%...not ideal vs ideal at about 65%..I've seen ideal trailers loaded tail heavy,,also not ideal..
I bumper pull trailers thatll gross about 9500lbs, but I can also say a bumper hitch will never out perform a gooseneck for load balance and towing ..2 different worlds..

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 05:50 PM   #8
Ziegelsteinfaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Parrot View Post
A lot depends on how the drop was done and what kind of wheels/tires the truck has. It sounds like he wanted a passenger car height and ride and now wants to do truck things. If it was ordered with the 'light duty' option package, which seems likely with a 2.7 motor, he may be out of luck. Even if he gets a hitch setup that rides well, likely the drive train will die soon after. A lot of the 10k+ tow ratings only kick in if you order the truck with the larger motors and transmissions. On my Escape, the 4 cylinder had a 1500lb limit. The V6 got you to 3500lb.

Another option would be to try a load leveling hitch setup.
Tow rating is like 8000 pounds, and roughly will weigh 5500 with the model A.

It has the factory tow pack as it appears to have a trans cooler.
Old 02-15-2022, 05:55 PM   #9
Ziegelsteinfaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
Without knowing the details of the trailer itself,and how he had his load balanced, it's hard to say ..
I've seen trailers with axles set at 50%...not ideal vs ideal at about 65%..I've seen ideal trailers loaded tail heavy,,also not ideal..
I bumper pull trailers thatll gross about 9500lbs, but I can also say a bumper hitch will never out perform a gooseneck for load balance and towing ..2 different worlds..
There are no details as it will have to be designed first. Right now I have a few specs he wants to hit.

If I get the full spec. I can bid against a aluminum custom trailer he has been dreaming of.

1. Less then 8 foot wide. Only as long as nessacary to carry normal car.

2. Not buck like normal bumper trailers. Hence why I thought goose neck.

3. Be as light as reasonable, but have a full deck. Or atleast the option of it.

4. Carry a normal car if he is not taking the model A.
Old 02-15-2022, 06:00 PM   #10
LS short box

To save some weight I would look at aluminum trailers. That Model A can't weigh much. Kind of depends on what the other cars weigh that he plans to haul.
There is no chance I would buy a 2.7 Eco Boost to tow a car trailer.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 06:22 PM   #11
mongocanfly
Post Whore

I was referring to the details of the trailer he used and didnt like..not the trailer of the future
lots of variables can lead to a unpleasant towing experience ...not knowing what he was doing its hard to say what was wrong

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 07:04 PM   #12
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

To me if I have the choice always go for a gooseneck. I guess that goes back to my semi days. As far as the truck itself, the F150 eco-boostie with tow package will do OK with a single car trailer (and be legal). However, the lowering of that truck took out the stuff that gave it the towing capabilities. Air bags can get some of the payload back, but unfortunately he took out the suspension range with the lowering, so it probably wouldn't ride as well as stock or unladen. I know you can get fifth-wheel/goose-neck hitches for a half ton truck (least here) My old Dodge had one for pulling a big ole camper by the first owner. Not sure what Kali's rules are for towing and al, but I figure it is gonna be pretty tight as far as the law is concerned.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 09:01 PM   #13
Ziegelsteinfaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palf70Step View Post
To me if I have the choice always go for a gooseneck. I guess that goes back to my semi days. As far as the truck itself, the F150 eco-boostie with tow package will do OK with a single car trailer (and be legal). However, the lowering of that truck took out the stuff that gave it the towing capabilities. Air bags can get some of the payload back, but unfortunately he took out the suspension range with the lowering, so it probably wouldn't ride as well as stock or unladen. I know you can get fifth-wheel/goose-neck hitches for a half ton truck (least here) My old Dodge had one for pulling a big ole camper by the first owner. Not sure what Kali's rules are for towing and al, but I figure it is gonna be pretty tight as far as the law is concerned.
Calis pretty loose on trailers, but don't exceed the vehicles capacities.
Old 02-15-2022, 11:50 PM   #14
Sheepdip

I know nothing about this Eco-Boost engine so I can't comment on its towing attitude, but I can comment on 5th wheels and goosenecks.
They are highly maneuverable, above and beyond a bumper pull. Once you learn/master reaction time since it is sitting over your axle, it's not near as quick/positive as a bumper pull, but you can back those things anywhere.
I'll take a 5th wheel or gooseneck anytime over the bumper pull.
Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 11:58 PM   #15
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziegelsteinfaust View Post
Calis pretty loose on trailers, but don't exceed the vehicles capacities.
And the speed limit (in California) for a trailer is 55 mph...like the truckers even care. I drive my truck 55 mph per code when towing, but that's because that is really all that it is capable of. In fact, based on the trailering guide, I'm oversize (for weight) when towing my trailer. Mostly for power, so that's why I'm looking for a 454. I put disc brakes on it, years ago.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 01:27 AM   #16
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

I run a ball hitch on my utility trailer. No sweat.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 02:59 AM   #17
kwmech

My opinion is that he needs a real truck, not a lowered one with a 2.7...beit an eco boost or not. He has compromised the suspension with the lowering kit and still wants to maximum tow what the truck was rated for....not going to happen. Even an F150 with stock suspension needs help with a 6 ply tire and an additional leaf in the rear or airbags if they're going to tow what you are saying the rating is 8k....yeah right. A goose neck trailer won't accomplish anything other than lightening the check book
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 09:52 AM   #18
duallyjams

I vote for a better tow vehicle, then you can tow any type of trailer that you want with no problem.

63 GMC V6 4speed carryall
65 chevy swb bbw V8 auto
68 K20 327/4 speed, buddy buckets
2002 GMC CC Dually Duramax

64 GMC lwb 3/4 V6 4speed SOLD
66 GMC swb bbw buddy buckets SOLD

IG duallyjams

The only thing that stays the same is constant change!
duallyjams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 11:26 AM   #19
joedoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by duallyjams View Post
I vote for a better tow vehicle, then you can tow any type of trailer that you want with no problem.
this is it. figure out the whole system. it seems like the driveway is the bottleneck.

i knew a guy that went shopping for a new truck that could tow his 26ft 14klb enclosed trailer, not that it matters but it was a bumper pull. he settled on a 3/4 ton chevy ext cab long bed, perfect tow vehicle but as a daily driver it got about 9mpg with the 454. i asked him how often he used the trailer, must be 2-3 times a week to take that slug to the belly. TWICE A YEAR. he drove this behemoth 365, didnt fit in parking spaces, 9 mpg, to tow a big trailer twice a year. this was when you could rent a budget 3/4 ton van with a hitch on it for something like $150 for a weekend.

so when i hear about a guy who is BUILDING A TRAILER to fit his tow vehicle and is considering a gooseneck for such a light duty... I gotta wonder if he is putting the cart before the horse, literally.

gooseneck trailers are way easier to back up because you can go to 90 degrees, and they balance the load on the chassis better. but he will need a over-axle frame mounted hitch and goosenecks are usually at least 10k lb rated trailers because of the extra weight of the gooseneck, usually 14k rated. that will be a 5k lb weight trailer at least. with a car on it 10k, well over his tow rating.

I get that building the trailer is necessary for the driveway restrictions but thats putting the BARN before the cart before the horse.

my advice, buy a nice cheap trailer his light duty truck can haul, and keep it in storage, spending the extra he would have spent on the custom trailer on the storage. he will be able to afford a nice steel deck tilt trailer (my recommendation) and will realize the most when he sells it too instead of selling a completely custom light duty gooseneck. and if he is pricing a custom gooseneck anyway, the extra he saves can be spent on a winch. a tilt deck with a winch is car hauling nirvana. back up, load up, go.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 12:23 PM   #20
Ziegelsteinfaust

He got the truck to haul more stuff after his crew cab was stolen. 6.5 bed vs 5.5 bed.

He doesn't need the trailer, but is dreaming at this point. Then will decide what and how things can be done.

I also suggested a car dolly as a option. Or even doing spread axles under the cars position to remove weight, leverage, or both from the hitch. Thus we can keep it a simple ball hitch trailer.

A typical car trailer with a Model A weighs 6000 pounds. Or less then his tow rating.

The truck and tow rating fit his plans well. Rather or not you love or like the ecoboost engines. So going 3/4 ton is crazy for towing a few times a year any distance. Much less at 1/2 it's tow rating, and the truck is his DD.

The trailer flat-out would have to be custom because of the driveway. So at that point things that are not normally done are now for consideration. If he can't do a custom for what ever reason he comes up with there is always renting too.

He wants a custom trailer. I want the work. Maybe we can meet in the middle. Maybe we can't. But if if I get to build the trailer. I want to build what he wants. Otherwise it's not worth my time.

Nothing he wants to do is dangerous. Just next level where no-one takes it for lightnduty stuff 99% of the time.
Old 02-16-2022, 01:22 PM   #21
1slo64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdip View Post
I know nothing about this Eco-Boost engine so I can't comment on its towing attitude, but I can comment on 5th wheels and goosenecks.
The 3.5 is rated for more towing than the 5.0 in the F150s. I love it in my 13 F150, has hauled several vehicles with ease. I wouldn't trust the 2.7 to tow a whole lot and with it lowered I probably wouldn't tow anything.
Old 02-16-2022, 03:08 PM   #22
kwmech

I'm not sure I'd dolly a Model A
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 10:18 AM   #23
72c20customcamper

If hes only doing it a few times a year I would just rent a trailer .
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 12:18 PM   #24
biketopia

You need to verify if it has the tow package or not and what the actually GVWR is on the door sill. Just seeing a trans cooler is not enough, we have a lot of 3.5s and 2.7s at work. The 3.5 with the higher GVWR would of obviously been the ideal choice as we've got those running around at almost 10k for 130k miles and they don't usually need much.

07 Silverado Classic 2wd

95 Camaro 427SBC/TH350
biketopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 01:09 AM   #25
A.Delaney

The over all width of the trailer has to be less than 8 feet? How much less? Unless the car is a Prius, It will be a tight squeeze to get a car on the trailer between the wheel wells if the over all is under 8’. What size trailer is your dads that he pulled? You can build a bumper pull lighter. In this case I think the lighter the trailer the better. I have both trailers. I will say the gooseneck is more of a pain to hook up since you have to climb in the bed. It tows nice though with the weight being centered over the rear axle. . Is he limited on length too or just width? Does he know that how you center the load on a trailer affects the ride? Is he willing to install a gooseneck hitch in his bed?