The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-02-2013, 01:14 PM   #1
Easyeight

I have a really stoopid question..

..Just how bad do the roofs 'tin' on 2005 extended cabs??

I bought a 4x4 1500 Monday..and have looked it over, and been driving it quite a bit. Really a nice tight truck...new tires and low miled..I luv guv surplus!

Anyhow..sometimes I hear a noise like something metal rolling across the truck bed..except there's nothing in the truck bed!...Just every so often..usually involving hitting a bump in the road or turning a corner and hitting a bump..I will hear this 'rolling' noise!

I've looked the suspension and cab/bed mounts over good..checked-out the tailgate fit and function...fenders, doors, bed-sides, all seem sturdy enough and properly bolted on, excellent condition...the roof on the other hand, it's flimsey!

I think my rooing noise may be the roof 'boinking' a bit when you hit a sizeable bump in the road..Then too the truck has an antenna base drilled and installed/siliconed on towards the middle/rear of the roof for some sort of guv private-band radio system..not real big antenna base..I unscrewed the antenna itself and rat-holed it for future use if desired...and to see if the lesser weight on the chinsy sheet-metal made a difference..it did to a slight degree I think.

I'm not 100% sure it my roof 'tinning' that accounts for my noise..but it is what I strongly suspect. Seems like I heard someone else griping about this phenomenon with these style Chevy/Jimmy trucks.

One other thing I can see that 'might' have something to do with my weird/occasional noise is that the bed's not perfectly centered with the cab. My suspicion being that the truck's bed may have been removed for fuel-pump/tank service in the past..and just slightly out of whack from reinstall..no signs of any collision damage or nuthin' like that...bed just needs loosened and shifted a touch for perfection. I have inspected the bed-bolts and they are tight..cab mounts are tight...I'm fairly certain my noise is something else.

Maybe it's the shocks!!...I noticed the shocks are about used up..and three are oily...wonder if it's a shock that's shucked it's bushings??..Just thought of this as I typed this up!! Better go look...
Easyeight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:36 PM   #2
Sillyoldman

Re: I have a really stoopid question..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyeight View Post
..Just how bad do the roofs 'tin' on 2005 extended cabs??

I bought a 4x4 1500 Monday..and have looked it over, and been driving it quite a bit. Really a nice tight truck...new tires and low miled..I luv guv surplus!

Anyhow..sometimes I hear a noise like something metal rolling across the truck bed..except there's nothing in the truck bed!...Just every so often..usually involving hitting a bump in the road or turning a corner and hitting a bump..I will hear this 'rolling' noise!

I've looked the suspension and cab/bed mounts over good..checked-out the tailgate fit and function...fenders, doors, bed-sides, all seem sturdy enough and properly bolted on, excellent condition...the roof on the other hand, it's flimsey!

I think my rooing noise may be the roof 'boinking' a bit when you hit a sizeable bump in the road..Then too the truck has an antenna base drilled and installed/siliconed on towards the middle/rear of the roof for some sort of guv private-band radio system..not real big antenna base..I unscrewed the antenna itself and rat-holed it for future use if desired...and to see if the lesser weight on the chinsy sheet-metal made a difference..it did to a slight degree I think.

I'm not 100% sure it my roof 'tinning' that accounts for my noise..but it is what I strongly suspect. Seems like I heard someone else griping about this phenomenon with these style Chevy/Jimmy trucks.

One other thing I can see that 'might' have something to do with my weird/occasional noise is that the bed's not perfectly centered with the cab. My suspicion being that the truck's bed may have been removed for fuel-pump/tank service in the past..and just slightly out of whack from reinstall..no signs of any collision damage or nuthin' like that...bed just needs loosened and shifted a touch for perfection. I have inspected the bed-bolts and they are tight..cab mounts are tight...I'm fairly certain my noise is something else.

Maybe it's the shocks!!...I noticed the shocks are about used up..and three are oily...wonder if it's a shock that's shucked it's bushings??..Just thought of this as I typed this up!! Better go look...
I know my BIL had a noise issue with his. Exhaust related iirc. I'll see if he'll chime in.

'71 Custom Deluxe C-20 402.
'67 Buick Special 455.
'49 Plymouth Special Deluxe.
"I love that old car smell"

Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Sillyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:11 PM   #3
Easyeight

It ain't the shock bushings...I just looked
Old 02-02-2013, 04:24 PM   #4
NONHOG

My 08 had a very odd "ting" noise that almost sounded like a ball pen hammer tapping the frame.
Chevy put a section of flex pipe in the exhaust and it went away 95%.

Not a rolling noise that I recall. Was a few years back now.
Good luck! Noises can be a bugger.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:28 AM   #5
Boog
laying low

Does your truck have a bug deflector on the hood? If so remove it and drive it for a week or so without it. 2 of my trucks had an intermittent noise. Sounded like the roof skin was loose maybe. I was told to take the bug deflector off and it stopped the noise. Crazy I know but it worked.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:21 AM   #6
Easyeight

Hmmm..no..no bug sheild...and my noise seems to have gone away!

I drove the truck 40 or 50 miles yesterday evening on all sorts of roads(rough and smooth)...no noise

I wonder if the weight of the antenna was causing the noise by flexing the roof...?

Not for sure what changed..but unscrewing the antenna from the roof mounted base is the only thing I've done..and I could have sworn I still had the noise after that...but maybe not...we'll see
Old 02-14-2013, 10:40 AM   #7
Easyeight

I found my noise....it was in the cab under the back seat.

Had my 17 year old son riding with me down some rough dirt roads and we heard the 'noise' a few times...hit a rough spot or turn a rough bouncy corner and had the noise.

My son kept saying the noise was behind him..not on the driver side...not outside the cab but inside. So when we got to the farm we were heading to..we opened the doors and checked out the jack and the rear seat frames..and how the seat folds(extended cab)..kid found a Ruger .22 revolver in a Crown Royal sack with a part of a box of .22 bullets. Somehow the gun was rubbing on the threaded metal studs used for tire-tool stowage and the few bullets would roll around in the plastic box and or rattle around like a baby rattle!

the revolver was neatly tucked in behind the jack and wheel-chocks and had bounced around long enough a hole or two had worn through the sack and it was metal on metal rubbing... and bullets rolling in CCI plastic box!!
Old 03-03-2013, 08:14 AM   #8
Desert.Chevy

Cool story end, how about a picture of your find.
Posted via Mobile Device
Desert.Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote