The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-25-2009, 10:34 PM   #1
stunna

Question Fuel Injection switch

Is it possible to take a chevy 350 and swap carb for a fuel injection system off another vehicle? Maybe some kind of throttle body or something. anybody done this?
stunna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 11:32 PM   #2
Jacfourteen
Big Red - Now its a SWB!

Re: Fuel Injection switch

there are tons of possibilities for doing this, the most common are to swap for a late 80's-early 90's TBI (throttle body injection) out of a truck or suburban, or you could swap in TPI (tuned port injection) out of same era camaro or corvette. You can also find used aftermarket kits for pretty cheap, they are made by holley, edelbrock, and some others. If you search you will find lots of help, especially in the build section where you can see step-by-step how they did it. Good luck!
68 3/4 ton (Project)-350 Small Block, .030 over, 10:1 comp, 3998993 heads, C3BX edelbrock intake, comp cams XE268, Holley 670 SA, long tube headers, dual flow 40's, E-fan, Alum rad, currently under the knife getting shortened and bagged build thread
41 3/4 ton (wife's)-flatbed, fully restored to original
01 Tahoe LT 4WD (my daily driver)-Magnaflow Muffler, Rollin on 22's
02 Ford Mustang Convertable (Wife's Car)-Flowmaster 50, Clear corners, Intake, sittin on 18's
Jacfourteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 11:37 PM   #3
woodwright
Enjoying left field

check out msefi.com

70 Chevy 4WD "Ultimate Work Truck" SOLD
woodwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 01:03 AM   #4
mclairmo

I remember TurboCity was big on swapping late model GM throttle body injection. Not sure if they are still even around anymore.
mclairmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 10:40 AM   #5
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

This is the system I have been thinking about. Replaces a standard carb and the computer is housed in the carb (in one of the "float bowls"). This is about as simple and clean I think a retrofit system can be.

http://www.retrotekspeed.com/products/powerjection-iii/

1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 10:57 AM   #6
Sinister
Between Trucks...

chevy_mike I've been looking at that one as well. I think Chevy High Performance had a review of it and gave it a thumbs up. I believe you need a return line to the tank. One place online I saw had a "returnless"
add on for it for around $500.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:11 AM   #7
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
chevy_mike I've been looking at that one as well. I think Chevy High Performance had a review of it and gave it a thumbs up. I believe you need a return line to the tank. One place online I saw had a "returnless"
add on for it for around $500.
At one point they did have a "returnless" setup, which I really liked the idea of but they have since removed that option. I believe I read somewhere they were having some issues with it where the standard return system worked great. Ideally it would be a better system since you are not "dead heading" the fuel pump but allowing it to flow fuild all the time, which is better for the pump.

Price wise, it's not anymore expensive then other systems out there. I really like the fact it has minimal wires to route, so it keeps things cleaned up better. Nothing is worse than seeing a nice engine with wires all over it.
1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...
Old 08-26-2009, 11:52 AM   #8
Shon

Buddy of mine is looking into the FAST EFI kit they have out now.
they kit looks really good.
if interested I can quote you a price.

http://www.fuelairspark.com/Products...s/XFI/over.asp
Old 08-26-2009, 01:29 PM   #9
Jim_PA

I've decided any EFI conversion just costs to much money compared to bolting on a qjet and spending time tuning it.
Jim_PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 01:38 PM   #10
mclairmo

EFI is for those who drive their truck everyday and want it to run like a newer car. Otherwise, a good carb is all you need.
mclairmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 01:48 PM   #11
mr48chev

A new Q jet isn't exactly cheap. That said I have a friend who has done a number of tpi swaps on different cars with great success.
He is also one of the go to guys for fi work in the region and can make them work right.

My wife and I both have mid 80's Cad Devilles with throttle body injecton as daily drivers 22+ mpg on the road and zero problems as far as reliability. on a smaller engine I'd consider adapting that whole throttle body, computer and sensors.

If you had a manifold that had the bosses cast in it for direct injection to be installed you could probably adapt the whole system off a 76 Cad Seville. It would look like a plumbing nightmare but the throttle body has a Qjet bolt pattern. I'm not sure how it is triggered though and it may signal off the distributor.

I'm going to have to look into that Powerjection III system as it looks interesting.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 02:21 PM   #12
Jim_PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
A new Q jet isn't exactly cheap. That said I have a friend who has done a number of tpi swaps on different cars with great success.
He is also one of the go to guys for fi work in the region and can make them work right.

My wife and I both have mid 80's Cad Devilles with throttle body injecton as daily drivers 22+ mpg on the road and zero problems as far as reliability. on a smaller engine I'd consider adapting that whole throttle body, computer and sensors.

If you had a manifold that had the bosses cast in it for direct injection to be installed you could probably adapt the whole system off a 76 Cad Seville. It would look like a plumbing nightmare but the throttle body has a Qjet bolt pattern. I'm not sure how it is triggered though and it may signal off the distributor.

I'm going to have to look into that Powerjection III system as it looks interesting.
I'm sure it's great, I just cant imagine it can be done on any modified engine for less than $800-$1000. A qjet, a rebuild kit, and a few various books on how to tune it costs $200 max.
Old 08-26-2009, 04:17 PM   #13
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

Only problem with Q-jet rebuild kits, they typically don't include what the real problem tends to be, worn out butterfly shafts. No matter how many new parts you put in, if you have an air leak at the shafts, you are wasting your time. You can get bushing kits, which requires you to drill out the shaft holes and put bronze bushing in but they are not included in any normal rebuild kit. You get those from a specialty company.

Good luck.

Old 08-26-2009, 10:45 PM   #14
Jim_PA

Go through a few good cores, you'll find some good pieces.

I've tried several times to convince myself that I could piece together a $400-$500 EFI system, and no matter what I come up with I end up with a minimum of a $700-$800 price tag.

I think if you gotta have efi, a complete LQ4 in the $1300 range is a no-brainer.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:46 PM   #15
Shon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_PA View Post
I think if you gotta have efi, a complete LQ4 in the $1300 range is a no-brainer.
x2
Old 08-28-2009, 09:23 PM   #16
Lugnut64052
Middle-aged Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
. . . a 76 Cad Seville . . . the throttle body has a Qjet bolt pattern.
Hmmm, as Johnny Carson used to say, "I did not know that."
Hafta check that out next time I go to the you-pullit junk yard.

Check out the site's Truck Tech FAQ.
Be a site supporter.
My more-or-less pathetic build thread.

Board members I've met:
------------------------------
Longhorn Man
Dieselwrencher
jholley
big mike71

Last edited by Lugnut64052; 08-28-2009 at 09:25 PM. Reason: typo
Lugnut64052 is offline   Reply With Quote