The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-19-2003, 10:03 PM   #1
72C10chevy4x4
UK Wildcat Fan!

how does the outer and inner rocker panel come together

I'm welding in the front and rear floor pans as well as the rocker. I have no 'old' metal to gauge how this fits together but,,, it appears the bottom of the pans (which would be the inner rocker panel) welds to the bottom of the outer rocker to form the lower lip of the rocker. The top looks as if its 'free floating'-nothing holding the top of the rocker to the floor pan (not including the A and B pillars). I can guess that the lip on the outer rocker is for the weather stripping-but does anything hold the outer rocker to the floor pans? is the weather stripping supposed to completely fill the gap between these two panels? what is the gap supposed to be between the outer rocker and the floor pan (where the weather stripping will mount)? The remaining portion of the floor pan appeared to have a bend in it so I'm not sure when lining up new parts to old parts.
thanks-Paul
72C10chevy4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 01:00 AM   #2
ebfabman

Maybe this will help. The rocker sits on the "shelf" area of the floor where it breaks to form the inner rocker or rocker back.

Drill several holes in the outer rocker 3/16 to 1/4 in diameter, evenly spaced (about 3 inches apart) at arrow ''1" use these holes to make spot or "plug" welds with your mig.

Do the same thing at arrow "2" except drill the holes in the rocker back and weld from the underside so it will look neat and you won't have to clean up the welds.

After clean up, you will want to seam seal where the panels meet.

Let me say there are many ways to do it but this is how I do it. Hope this helps.
Attached Images

ebfabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 10:23 AM   #3
72C10chevy4x4
UK Wildcat Fan!

thank you efabman-the picture is great. I tried lining this up but it didn't appear my 'panels' would line up at the top and bottom. If I lined them up at the top "1" the bottom was too short and would not reach down to the bottom of the outer rocker at "2". Maybe I was just too tired and I should go back out to re-access the situation.
thanks!
72C10chevy4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:08 PM   #4
MoreWorkToDo

Re: how does the outer and inner rocker panel come together

ebfabman, is the inner rocker supposed to be vertical like you have shown? i sure hope so, otherwise I have to start over

what i started with was too far gone to know.
MoreWorkToDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 12:35 PM   #5
mcbassin
Still Learning

Re: how does the outer and inner rocker panel come together

Quote:
is the inner rocker supposed to be vertical like you have shown? i sure hope so, otherwise I have to start over

what i started with was too far gone to know.
Yes it needs to be vertical, as pictured.
I did mine like Ed described in his picture:
LINK HERE
I did use a spot welder at the pinch seam, just because I have one.
Good luck
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote