The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-06-2013, 01:16 PM   #1
98layinframe

v bend verse stock glass visibility/ where to buy?

Unfortunately my phone wont let me use the search feature, but is anyone on here that's using a V bend windshield? I'll be purchasing all new glass for my truck in the future and just wondering if the fancy v bend is wont the extra 200 bucks that complete kit is over the price of the standard flat glass kit.

Forgot to mention but mine is a 51, so also does any company still make the conversion kit to install/operate the older one piece side windows with the newer 51+ doors that had the 2 piece windows?

Also has anyone done the flat glass with bead of silicone down the center trick? Any pictures of either style would be greatly appreciated!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-06-2013, 02:11 PM   #2
youngrodder

Re: v bend verse stock glass visibility/ where to buy?

I was going to go the route of the one piece front glass but the cost (plus expensive shipping) and later hearing that the visibility is distorted accross the bend made my decision up to go with a V-butt (silicone in the middle) windshield instead.

To my knowledge no company makes a conversion kit for the side windows. Most people will tell you it is easier to switch the doors out to the ones with one piece side glass.

Here are some pics.

Marc
Attached Images

1948 Chevy Truck - Finished SOLD!!

1953 Chevy Suburban "Family Truckster" Completed: Spring of 2021
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=605484

1994 4x4 Blazer - "Field Find"
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...ferrerid=30857
youngrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:22 PM   #3
98layinframe

Thanks youngrodder. Yeah I've heard the same thing of the distortion in the bent glass, just wondering if anyone had any pictures showing this distortion maybe?

Since you did the silicone trick.. how'd it work out? Anything ya had to change on the seal or to hold the windows in place?

Also yeah I know everyone says to just swap out doors with older ones.. but unfortunately those seem to be the guys that live in nice areas where they can just run down the road and find a nice clean set to slap on. I hate living up north in the rust belt for that reason! Lol. The cost of buying a clean set of doors then having them shipped from cali or texas ends up being crazy expensive! That and the doors I have now are absolutely perfect, and match the patina. Im sure illend up using them and running the 2 piece side glass... but ehh one can dream!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-06-2013, 02:30 PM   #4
youngrodder

98Layinframe--

No regrests, but I was not thinking and when I had my glass made for the front. I just ordered clear glass. As the guys were finishing the install they suggested "tinted glass would look sweet". now you tell me. They offered to switch it out for me later down the road (at my expense). I will leave it. It's not a big deal because I have 2.5% tint on the side and back windows so the front window looks dark now anyway.

The cost was not that bad. I think $250.00 installed.

Marc

Old 02-06-2013, 10:47 PM   #5
Atommik

when you ordered the front glass , was it stock size or does it need to be a little wider since there is no longer a "bar" seperating the pieces?
Atommik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:16 AM   #6
98layinframe

^yeah hmm good point didnt think of that.

Where did you get your glass from? A local place custom made it or ordered off line?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-07-2013, 03:35 PM   #7
youngrodder

My glass was cut and installed by a local glass shop. They had experience in cutting glass for various street rods, but they are more specialized in glass for the home or office.

I just made tempates out of cardboard leaving 1/4" gap from the edge of the glass to the cab and 1/4" between the two panels. The glass can be adjusted some inside the gasket. THis allows them to get the center jap just right.

Here is a pic of the carboard. This is the glass guy checking my templates for fit. He didn't need to make any adjustments to my templates. The returned a week later with the glass cut to the right size.

Marc
Attached Images

Old 02-07-2013, 06:36 PM   #8
skip99

I agree, get old doors, but if you insist on doing a conversion, you might look at our build first...

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428878
skip99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:52 PM   #9
mr48chev

It's best to have a local shop that tends to cater to older cars cut the glass rather than order it and hope that it fits. If it isn't chopped the door glass isn't an issue but you really need a glass man that knows what he is doing to cut an fit the glass if you want to V butt it.

This is the only truck that has the bent glass in the windshield that I know I have seen. I was all set to do it on mine but there is a lot of distortion along the bend in the glass.

It doesn't show up in the photo but it really shows up to your eyes

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:53 PM   #10
Atommik

Youngrodder, just thought of something else. What windshield gasket did you use? A gasket from a 54 or 55 1st series?
Atommik is offline   Reply With Quote