The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-25-2012, 12:17 PM   #1
McCoyAZ

64 Radiator swap

The original radiator in my 64 is tiny at only about 18 inches wide and 2 inches thick. It was for a straight 6 and I guess it worked on that motor okay.

I swapped the straight 6 out and replaced it with an older 283 and bought a radiator that is supposed to fit in the original mounting location but it doesn't. This new one is about 26 inches wide and 2.75 inches thick.

I was told it would slip right in and be a direct replacement but it wont fit down into the slotted mount and it is wider then the front cross member.

What options do I have to mount this radiator into the truck?

There are no side flanges installed on it so it wont bolt into the radiator support frame.

How did the 64's that came with a V8 mount up?

Thanks in advance
McCoyAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 02:34 PM   #2
GMR-PERFORMANCE

Re: 64 Radiator swap

I think 63 is the last year with built in side mounts and 64+ are upper and lower bolt on rubber isolated mounted.. Too bad as I have a great v8 rad for the early style that I am giving away..
Attached Images

GMR-PERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:28 AM   #3
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Re: 64 Radiator swap

The V8 radiators in the '63-'66's did not sit down between the frame rails like most of the I6 radiators did. It will sit on top of the crossmember there, but you will have to re-locate the saddles from below to up top. Then there is a shorter upper support that secures it to the radiator support. It is similar to your original upper support just shorter. If you need the upper support, let me know.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote