The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-26-2003, 02:00 PM   #1
bigq3

4x4 question

What is the correct way to engage the 4 wheel drive on a 1990 1500? Do you need to back up and can you shift on the fly with this model? Also should the truck rock and ride rough when it is on dry pavment? We had snow last week and my subdivision was clear but the back roads I take to work had ice and snow. My truck felt so strange I had to take it out of 4 wheel drive before I got to the spots that I needed it. I'm new to 4 wheel drive and thought you could use it anytime you wanted, not just on ice, snow and dirt. Any help would be a great help. Thanks!
bigq3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 04:22 PM   #2
ljbear

I'm not too sure what type of system that has, but I'll try to help. A truck of that age should have a sticker, most likely on the drivers side visor, that explains the use of the 4wd. Also, check the owners manual if the vehicle ahs one. If you have "Shift on the Fly" you can usually engage the 4wd into high range at moderate speed, usually under 25 mph. To go to low range the vehicle should be stopped. If it's a push button just push the button, and a light on the dash should light up and indicate that the 4wd is engaged. If the vehicle has manual hubs you will need to get out and set them to the locked position, and back to the free when you are done. Since you didn't mention hubs and that the vehicle was driving rough it looks like you probably have auto hubs. These engage as the vehicle rolls forward when the 4wd is engaged. To disengage take vehicle out of 4wd then roll backwards about 10 feet. You will probably hear a click or clunk as the hubs release. In 4wd the vehicle does take on a heavy and somewhat rough feel. If the roadway is dry it's not a real good idea to use the 4wd. Best for ice, snow, and mud. If you are going from 2wd to 4wd it's ok to leave the hubs locked, just don't forget to roll back when you are finished using it.

Larry

72 Chevy SWB 4x4
71 Chevy SWB 4x4

My Work Truck

"Don't confuse enthusiasm with capability"
ljbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 12:57 AM   #3
bigq3

Thanks Ljbear. I have the shifter on the floor and the auto hubs. I need to find an owners manual for this truck the sticker is not on the visor anymore.
bigq3 is offline   Reply With Quote