The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old Yesterday, 01:09 AM   #1
Ziegelsteinfaust

Welders.

A few weeks ago my Hobart MVP died on me, and currently I am using a Hobart 190. That I constantly have to take back to my dad's house when I do stuff there.

I really want one of those fancy Miller welders, but I am out of funds right now for a $3000 purchase. I am on the final stretch of my Nova refurb so I don't want to slow down by removing available funds.

So I thought I would get a cheap invertor 120V welder. So I can take it with me places when I need it. Instead of the heavier transformer version.

So alot of them seem to be multi process when I just want a mig. Looking at the new Ridgid or Harbor Frieght titanium versions.

Does stacking features reduce reliability or is their life span sort of already low due to buy in price?
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:26 AM   #2
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Re: Welders.

i had miiler stick,then went to hobart mig,now have the HF vulcan tig/mig/stick....very good welder...much smoother than the hobart....i also have a titanium plasma..its a beast,,
so i dont think you would go wrong with whatever..
i got my vulcan back when they were still about $600...about twice that now

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:41 AM   #3
biketopia

I've been happy with my small Eastwood mig. For body work it's fantastic. If you're trying to build a category 3 tractor implement, it's a little light on the amperage. There are bigger options now from when I got mine 3-4years ago. The HF ones have gotten good reviews, I'd be inclined to go that route if you have a store close by so you don't have to fool with shipping.

07 Silverado Classic 2wd

95 Camaro 427SBC/TH350
biketopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:35 AM   #4
Sheepdip

I was in the middle of building gates for my place when my old miller died and went to heaven. Not wanting to invest $3k+ to replace what I had I went on a search for a quality unit without breaking the bank, reading many reviews and opinions and this is what I settled on with no regrets.

I do not like a 120 volt welders, they are very limited, just not enough frying power or duty cycle unless you are just doing thin stuff such as body panels.

If you have 240 volt available this machine will more than make you happy, as it did me without breaking the bank. It will run hard wire with gas, inner shield/flux core, manual arc/stick, Tig, and comes with a Aluminum spool gun. And uses Tweeco gun parts.

The only learning curve I had was being an old guy was this thing is it is digital display with too many knobs, and has programs for heat wire speed etc. you can save for like metals/jobs next time...doesn't work for me but it's there.

I have a 240 volt generator on wheels that I hook behind my golf cart and the welder sits perfectly on top to make a portable welder around the place. Everybody's wants and needs are different but this one works for me.

https://www.northerntool.com/product...p-output-96572
Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:45 PM   #5
Ziegelsteinfaust

Early this morning I got a eastwood 140 mig welder on sale.

Or about $200 less then what I feel to be a comparable HF titanium model.

I still can tote around the Hobart if I am welding thicker steel, but 3 of my next 4 projects. It will be fine.

Plus side it is quite light, and people seem to like it. So I can save the $3000 for my dream welder. Without pressing the brakes on my Nova DD project
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:05 PM   #6
1slo64

I've had my Titanium welder for 6 years now, other than the cheap regulator going out I have no complaints.