The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-04-2023, 06:44 PM   #1
Matt_50

Door lock

Getting lots of small things checked off the list.

Door lock was supposed to be one today. 1950 so it only has a passenger outer door lock.

Never had a key so I bout a new keyed one. Replacement was easy. But it doesn't work.

If I push down on inner door handle it locks the door as it should. But the key doesn't feel like it wants to turn all the way. Popped it back out. Used a screw driver of the same size and I cannot lock or unlock with the key.

Thoughts?
Old 05-04-2023, 07:16 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: Door lock

Does it work when the lock isn't in the door? Meaning, can you work the key back and forth with the lock out in your hand?

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 07:19 PM   #3
Matt_50

Yep. Full movement.
Old 05-04-2023, 08:46 PM   #4
joedoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_50 View Post
Getting lots of small things checked off the list.

Door lock was supposed to be one today. 1950 so it only has a passenger outer door lock.

Never had a key so I bout a new keyed one. Replacement was easy. But it doesn't work.

If I push down on inner door handle it locks the door as it should. But the key doesn't feel like it wants to turn all the way. Popped it back out. Used a screw driver of the same size and I cannot lock or unlock with the key.

Thoughts?

the key does not unlock the "push down the inner handle to lock" lock. you lock the drivers door that way, then get out the passenger side, and use the key which when locked blocks the outside handle from opening the door and when unlocked lets the handle work normally.

and if you think about it, the key would have to push the inner door handle down to lock the door and up to unlock the door. there isnt any type of linkage like that.

i rebuilt some 41-46 door latch assemblies and I think i have pictures of the little cam in them that just blocks the outside handle from turning. while its not the same mechanism it is the same principle. the first year that the actual key locked the mechanism was 67. even the 52-55.1 door handles with the key in the button still work by preventing the button from working, not moving the inside handle. if you were able to lock both inside handles and get out somehow, you would not be able to get back in!

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 10:19 PM   #5
fauXGT

I replaced both worn out door latches with new ones. Took apart the old passenger one to find out what operated the lock. Took the new drivers side apart and duplicated in reverse the arm that has the space in the drivers side for it to lock. Just cut a lock hole in the drivers door and get it keyed the same as the rest. Wouldn't tolerate sliding across the seat every time. Took a weekend to do... but most of my psycho ideas usually take time.
Attached Images

full Rusto-Mod
'92 GMC Sonoma GT VIN #0015
'91 GMC Sonoma GT extended cab 1 of 1
fauXGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 10:54 PM   #6
mr48chev

The point that Joedoe made is "THEE" point. You don't move the passenger door handle to locked and close the door, you close the door and then lock it with the key. You only lock the passenger side door with the handle when you are inside and want the door locked.

77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
Old 05-04-2023, 11:25 PM   #7
fauXGT

If I'm reading MATT 50 correctly, the last comment was that whatever state the inside was in, the key wouldn't do anything(lock or unlock). The entire latch may be bound up not allowing the light action of the key, but even a screwdriver isn't working. It isn't a 'linkage' that operates the key operation, it is a lever that is sandwiched in the mechanism of the latch that stops or allows the outside handle from moving. If the lever can't move freely, the lock/unlock won't work.
full Rusto-Mod
'92 GMC Sonoma GT VIN #0015
'91 GMC Sonoma GT extended cab 1 of 1
fauXGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 11:31 PM   #8
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by fauXGT View Post
If I'm reading MATT 50 correctly, the last comment was that whatever state the inside was in, the key wouldn't do anything(lock or unlock). The entire latch may be bound up not allowing the light action of the key, but even a screwdriver isn't working. It isn't a 'linkage' that operates the key operation, it is a lever that is sandwiched in the mechanism of the latch that stops or allows the outside handle from moving. If the lever can't move freely, the lock/unlock won't work.
It's time to pull the lock out and do some cleaning, lubing and looking.

Old 05-05-2023, 12:53 AM   #9
leegreen

excuse the thread jacking,

my '52 with push button doors, both inside handles will lock the doors, so as Joedoh suggests it is possible to lock both doors so you can't unlock from the outside. What is supposed to stop that from happening, is it a feature of the latch, inside handle or some adjustment I missed?

also, both inner handles, you only have to move them a small amount from the unlocked position to trigger the release of door latch, is that normal?
leegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 01:08 AM   #10
joedoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by fauXGT View Post
If I'm reading MATT 50 correctly, the last comment was that whatever state the inside was in, the key wouldn't do anything(lock or unlock).

hmm. i read it as he locked the door with the door handle and the key would not unlock it. which it never will, was my comment, different systems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leegreen View Post
excuse the thread jacking,

my '52 with push button doors, both inside handles will lock the doors, so as Joedoh suggests it is possible to lock both doors so you can't unlock from the outside. What is supposed to stop that from happening, is it a feature of the latch, inside handle or some adjustment I missed?

also, both inner handles, you only have to move them a small amount from the unlocked position to trigger the release of door latch, is that normal?
i will have to go outside in the morning but i dont think it is possible to lock an open door using the inside door handles. it will only lock when its shut

Old 05-05-2023, 07:45 AM   #11
Matt_50

I played with the door. Opened, closed, window down ect. The little part that does the locking looks the same on the driver door. To see it work with the door open I had to manually rotate the part that hits the latch back and forth. With the lock or a screwdriver I couldn't get it to lock. The key only moved maybe a quarter turn until it found resistance. I guess I need to pull it all out and see if anything is in a bind.
Old 05-05-2023, 08:08 AM   #12
joedoh

Quote:
I couldn't get it to lock. The key only moved maybe a quarter turn until it found resistance. I guess I need to pull it all out and see if anything is in a bind.
nothing is in a bind, it is working the way it is supposed to. in fauxgt p[icture you can see the locking cam only has about 80 degrees to turn and lock (by blocking the OUTSIDE handle from turning) or unlock (by letting the outside handle turn normally). because it is only turning that little cam, there will be barely any resistance to it turning and it is more a "turn almost a quarter and its locked" than feeling it turn anything. it is not connected to the part of the door that turns the inside handle, and thats important too because even if you lock the door with a key you can still open it from the inside.
Attached Images

Old 05-05-2023, 08:21 AM   #13
Matt_50

Using the key. Turning it as far as it can go, I would then turn the handle and the door would open. Thats when I started playing with it opened or closed and moving the different parts by hand to see how it all worked.

So, door unlocked on inside. Door shut. I can turn outer handle and open and close it. Then I use the key and I can still turn outer handle and open it.
Old 05-05-2023, 08:26 AM   #14
joedoh

Quote:
Using the key. Turning it as far as it can go, I would then turn the handle and the door would open. Thats when I started playing with it opened or closed and moving the different parts by hand to see how it all worked.

So, door unlocked on inside. Door shut. I can turn outer handle and open and close it. Then I use the key and I can still turn outer handle and open it.
if you are turning it a quarter turn and it isnt blocking the outside handle you need to check the condition of the cam, it could have been worn away from years of being partially locked. sorry for all the confusion.

Old 05-05-2023, 08:46 AM   #15
Matt_50

No worries, hard to describe everything in text. I'll take it apart in the next few days I guess.
Old 05-05-2023, 02:29 PM   #16
leegreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
I will have to go outside in the morning but i dont think it is possible to lock an open door using the inside door handles. it will only lock when its shut
I'd certainly like to know what you find. As far as I can see there is nothing to prevent it, at least with the combination of parts in my doors.

Some old manual links of interest to the general topic of locks:

pre 52 shop manual link to section about locks
http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com...51ctsm0114.htm

54 shop manual locks
http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com...4ctsm0111.html

truck owners manuals links to lock descriptions below.
there are some interesting variations on how the outside key works. All versions I have seen just describe the inside handle as 'to lock either door from the inside it is only necessary to move the inside remote control handle forward (the '48 version says 'up'). So none really answer my question about locking yourself out.

51 owners
http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com...er/51tom11.htm

52 owners manual
http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com...er/52tom11.htm

53 owners
http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com...er/53tom11.htm
lock cylinder key has different action for '52 vs '53, my '52 must have '53 lock cylinder
Old 05-05-2023, 07:03 PM   #17
joedoh

i have a 54 in the driveway and totally forgot my "i will try in the morning" until you responded.

both drivers and passenger doors unlock after shutting the door if you push the inside handle down (locking it) with the door open and then shut the door. the interior handle moves up almost imperceptibly but its enough to unlock the door, I had no issue opening a "locked" door after shutting it. I tried it several times on both sides.

I have a 49 at the shop that still has doors I will try it on a drop handle too.

this makes sense, too, because we dont have 10,000 threads from different people about locking themselves out. the "key unlocks the inner handle" myth would be a lot more prevalent if it was possible to lock an open door with the inside handle.

Old 05-05-2023, 07:07 PM   #18
leegreen

Maybe the inside handle adjustment is more subtle that I thought. I will play with this some more.
thanks!
Old 05-06-2023, 04:38 PM   #19
leegreen

Here is what I found:
1952*

If either door is closed and you lock it from inside, it can't be opened or unlocked from outside.

Passenger lock mechanism wont let you lock with inside handle if the door is open.

If Driver's door is open and you lock the inside handle, when you close the door the lock mechanism unlocks but does not move the inside handle or the pin it connects to on lock.

Thanks again Joedoh for the assist.

*1952 doors with push button exterior handles.
Maybe the exterior handles are from 1953 given how the key operates (see manuals linked above).
Locks and inside remotes are most likely 1952, but could be any year as I salvaged parts from various trucks years ago.

Last edited by leegreen; 05-06-2023 at 11:51 PM.
Old 05-06-2023, 08:47 PM   #20
mr48chev

One thing about it, you aren't going to lock the keys in the truck.