The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-14-2011, 03:47 PM   #1
Tmwoodall

Hotchkis vs. Competitors (Sway Bar)

Are F/R Hotchkis sway bars really worth ~$500 more than their competitors (CPP, ECE, etc)?

I am sure they put more into engineering and what not, but $500 more? Sure seems like the "normal" brands would be enough for a DD and occasional fun vehicle, no?
Old 03-14-2011, 04:15 PM   #2
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

Re: Hotchkis vs. Competitors (Sway Bar)

Quite frankly, I was wondering the same thing. Check the price on the tubular control arms. Im not saying they arent worth it... its just that they dont say WHY they are worth it... that is to say HOW are their products better? (all respect intended)

Last edited by Tom Vogel; 03-14-2011 at 04:16 PM.
Tom Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 04:18 PM   #3
Tmwoodall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vogel View Post
Quite frankly, I was wondering the same thing. Check the price on the tubular control arms. Im not saying they arent worth it... its just that they dont say WHY they are worth it... that is to say HOW are their products better? (all respect intended)
That is what bugged me too. I figured they would have comparisons, stats, videos, etc.

I watched the video shown as their big showcase. While it shows some sweet trucks it is just the editor fumbling through a rundown of the day Autoxing and two of the three trucks happened to have Hotchkis built running gear.

Pretty weak.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:31 PM   #4
PipsC10

And I thought $400 for my muscle bar from ride tech was steep...
Old 03-14-2011, 09:15 PM   #5
oldno7

I'll be watching this to It's difficult making decisions Seems one thing leads to another with these trucks I've pretty much decided on just going stock suspention with a 4/6 drop with 20's i think it will look ok maybe this should be put up in the suspention section
Old 03-14-2011, 09:52 PM   #6
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

I'm kind of a dinosaur, but I've never understood any aftermarket front sway bar.

Good old GM factory bars are readily available in 1 1/8 and 1 1/4 sizes at the junkyard. You can buy new urethane bushings at the local parts store made my Moog and you're all set. A swaybar is just a large piece of steel. They don't go bad or get worn out. Why pay for new when every day the junkyards out there are crushing perfectly good used ones ?

You fellas can flame me all you want. Like I said, I know I'm a dinosaur.

Last edited by Tx Firefighter; 03-14-2011 at 09:52 PM.
Tx Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:00 PM   #7
Hubscrub
Cruzin

Back to the Fifties 59 https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...NAeStpydfrcj_U

Proverbs 3:5,6

"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything."Charles Kuralt

In memory of our first baby daughter, daddy and mommy love you.
Danica Grace 6/26/14
Hubscrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 01:44 AM   #8
barryvanhook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter View Post
I'm kind of a dinosaur, but I've never understood any aftermarket front sway bar.
What he said.

Barry
Old 03-15-2011, 09:10 AM   #9
68Stepbed

It depends on what you plan to do with the vehicle. If you plan to autocross or roadrace your truck, then yes, the Hotchkis bars are a little better, because they ar designed more for that. They do have adjustable end links, which, in return makes them "tuneable". Most aftermarket companies simply just make a "stock style" bar with no real benefit over a stock sway bar.

As for a daily driver, weekend boulevard cruiser, or just a truck to get out and take a spirited drive around some twisty back roads, I'm in complete agreement with TxFirefighter. A stock 1 1/4" sway bar with poly bushings is a great upgrade and cheaper than aftermarket and will suffice as good for just about anyone.

As for Hotchkis' tubular CA's, they have been designed with better caster/camber adjustments, which again, is better for autocrossing and road course action. This is the one thing I see that is better designed than the other companies selling tubular CA's.

As for the prices, Hothckis really has no competition as far as the products they're making. You can expect their prices to be higher as long as no one can challenge what they sell. I know that No Limit is making some new products, so hopefully soon we will have a competitive aftermarket support for our fine trucks.

All that being said, a good 4/6 drop kit from ECE with factory sway bars will make just about any truck fun to drive and still be competitive in most autocross fields. If you don't beleive me, check out Chris Powell's autocross win at the Goodguys show last year.

68 C10 stepside, LS1/700R4, TCI Engineering suspension system
68Stepbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:18 AM   #10
LEEVON

I don't know, they are a very nice design and look to be in a completely different class. I'm with the others on the factory sway bars, they're around all day for $40 plus bushings...but CPP had a sale on theirs for $75 w/ free shipping last week so I got another one. At that price it's not worth cleaning up an old one and going to the store for bushings.

I think it's a special market that Hotchkis is after.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:07 PM   #11
OJ1988
Just a car guy

The hotchkis front bar is 1 7/16"
1970 C20 tow rig
OJ1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:34 AM   #12
Bennett68C10

I have the Hotchkis front sway bar and it is massive at 1 7/16". I bought it because i plan to autocross my truck a little when i'm finally done with it, plus i had a coupon at summit racing when i bought it. Don't think i'll be buying one of their rear bars as I can only run the blade style due to my ECE super track bar and I can't justify at this time spending over $400 for a rear sway bar specially since I'm not close to being done with my project. I'm leaning towards running a 3rd Gen camaro rear sway bar.
Attached Images

66 Suburban

Burb Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=751361

IG: bennett68c10
Bennett68C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:31 PM   #13
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter View Post

Good old GM factory bars are readily available in 1 1/8 and 1 1/4 sizes at the junkyard. You can buy new urethane bushings at the local parts store made my Moog and you're all set. A swaybar is just a large piece of steel. They don't go bad or get worn out. Why pay for new when every day the junkyards out there are crushing perfectly good used ones ?

You fellas can flame me all you want. Like I said, I know I'm a dinosaur.
Yep, I concur, so I guess that makes me a dinosaur too !!

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:10 PM   #14
Orangetonicclicc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Stepbed View Post
It depends on what you plan to do with the vehicle. If you plan to autocross or roadrace your truck, then yes, the Hotchkis bars are a little better, because they ar designed more for that. They do have adjustable end links, which, in return makes them "tuneable". Most aftermarket companies simply just make a "stock style" bar with no real benefit over a stock sway bar.

As for a daily driver, weekend boulevard cruiser, or just a truck to get out and take a spirited drive around some twisty back roads, I'm in complete agreement with TxFirefighter. A stock 1 1/4" sway bar with poly bushings is a great upgrade and cheaper than aftermarket and will suffice as good for just about anyone.

As for Hotchkis' tubular CA's, they have been designed with better caster/camber adjustments, which again, is better for autocrossing and road course action. This is the one thing I see that is better designed than the other companies selling tubular CA's.

As for the prices, Hothckis really has no competition as far as the products they're making. You can expect their prices to be higher as long as no one can challenge what they sell. I know that No Limit is making some new products, so hopefully soon we will have a competitive aftermarket support for our fine trucks.

All that being said, a good 4/6 drop kit from ECE with factory sway bars will make just about any truck fun to drive and still be competitive in most autocross fields. If you don't beleive me, check out Chris Powell's autocross win at the Goodguys show last year.
I had a question about that 4/6 drop. Did you have to C-notch your frame and lose your tubs and inner fenders? Only difference is I'm wanting 22's?
Orangetonicclicc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 10:19 PM   #15
oldblue1968chevy
Grandpa in the rustmobile...

Ive heard you can get by with 6" rear spring with no cnotch

Goose-1968 C10 355,9.32-1CR, Vortec Heads ,262 voodoo, 3.73:1 3OTT (HS ride/beater/farm truck)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=317684

Grams 53-1953 Chevrolet Belair
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post4327784

1969 Chevy C10 Shortbed 4.5/6?" Frame off resto
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=548136

1999 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
oldblue1968chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 11:10 AM   #16
68Stepbed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetonicclicc View Post
I had a question about that 4/6 drop. Did you have to C-notch your frame and lose your tubs and inner fenders? Only difference is I'm wanting 22's?
Not sure on your question. I don't have a 4/6 drop. I only have a 3.5/5 drop from ECE, and I have a stepside.

Everyone I talk to with a 4/6 drop did not need a c-notch.

68 C10 stepside, LS1/700R4, TCI Engineering suspension system
68Stepbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 10:10 PM   #17
big_al_71

I have the one from CPP and it performs great definetly helped the body loose feel the truck had..along with my rear square tubing trailing arms this truck feels like it is on rails..
Attached Images

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote