The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-15-2010, 04:09 AM   #1
Reendog89

First post and first solo build

For the past few days, while waiting for my account to be activated so I could participate in this forum and create my own build thread, I have seen some amazing skill and experience. The truck shown below is my dream truck. Growing up, grant it I'm still quite young, I liked the basic muscle cars (camaro/chevelle/challengers/the list is long) but I also was a fan of a particular truck, a 1972 Chevrolet Custom 10. Not in my wildest dreams did I imagine finding the truck that I now own. I have some limited mechanical experience, my father and I rebuilt a 1980 Camaro, it was my first car. However, since the build I have been preoccupied with many things, as well as being in military training, stationed states away, and deployed overseas. So the knowledge I had gained through my father has somewhat faded, but through his help, from a distance, input from this forum, researching/learning, and some local knowledge I plan on re-doing this truck! It's in superb shape, and has a lot of work put into it already. I couldn't ask for a better starting point. With that I am going to post some pictures and try to keep this updated now and then with information. In the near future I will not have much time at all to get started on the truck solidly, as I am deploying again, until then though I plan on doing as much as possible.

As I mentioned previously, the forum members here obviously have a wealth of knowledge, experience, and talent. Please don't keep that to yourself. Any input is welcomed! Thanks for reading.

-This was taken when I went to look at the truck

-As I said there's work in the truck already

-The body is in great shape

-Took this today

Last edited by Reendog89; 12-15-2010 at 04:11 AM.
Reendog89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 04:50 AM   #2
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

Re: First post and first solo build

Congrats on a nice truck.
Engine looks nice also.
Welcome to the forums.

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 05:49 AM   #3
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

Well your a fast learner!! Everyone on the board is a picture whore so the more the merrier we are !!!! so great first post and welcome to the madness...and your right anything you want to know you can find here on this board just by using the search button !! but dont be afraid to ask

that one fine azz piece your starting with power brakes and steering and disc brakes up front all I would say is find a nice drop you like and just do it with a cheap set of springs and enjoy the hell out of it

On a side note Thanx for Serving....
726th Maintance
Desert storm

Jeff
Hottrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 02:07 PM   #4
Reendog89

In regards to the drop I was thinking of doing a 2 inch drop. Just trying to decide how I am going to do it. I was thinking of using blocks, but springs would be easy to. How much does cutting the springs affect handling?

Thoughts? Opinions?
Old 12-15-2010, 03:40 PM   #5
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

well since your not real big on wrenching I would go with NEW springs and a 3/5 drop..this will level the truck out and give it a great stance (IMAO) if your truck doesn't have a front sway bar ( you could get one used) I would add one ( it can be done very easy and cheap) and it will make your truck handle 100 times better
Hottrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 03:48 PM   #6
Putter
More Cowbell....

Looks like a great platform to get started.

YOU NEED MIRRORS!!

And I'd locate some 'round' chevy tail lights. (those remind me of Ford ones)

Other than that, I would roll it as-is for a while.

Don't forget PROGRESS PICS.

Last edited by Putter; 12-15-2010 at 03:48 PM.
Putter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 03:03 PM   #7
RCbowtie69

looking good
RCbowtie69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 03:51 PM   #8
yukon ratrod

Nice beginings. nothing like starting on a clean truck. I agree with the 3 and 5 inch drop. springs are cheap and easily changed. sway bar is a must, and again quite cheap. one thing Ive learned is take small bites at a time, and try and keep your truck mobile as long as you can. if your going to be short on time, this maybe the best way. many of us on here have kids, so time is not on our side either.lol enjoy! and dont be a fraid to question the hell out of us! have fun!! welcome a board!
yukon ratrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 06:45 PM   #9
Reendog89

Hello Everyone,

I am back from deployment and getting ready to work on my truck again. I started a new thread for it. I had thought I lost this one. The new thread has listed what I am going to be starting here in the next few days/weeks. I would appreciate your input to the questions listed in the following link:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=487021

Thanks for looking and for your help! Glad to be back.