The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-04-2015, 07:14 PM   #1
indianpride77

cluster

ok so i tried searching and just want to make sure. i have 76 stepside a cluster with gauges but no tach. will one with a tach from a 76 swap straight across?
indianpride77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 08:28 PM   #2
ray_mcavoy

Re: cluster

Yes, since your truck is already wired for the factory gauge cluster without the tach, a matching year gauge cluster with tach will be a direct swap. The factory wiring automatically takes care of the re-located fuel gauge and the tach is wired separately with it's own 3-wire harness.

Just be aware that 76 was a changeover year on instrument clusters. The early 76 clusters have a single "FASTEN BELTS" indicator light at the bottom of the large fuel gauge (or bottom of the tach on tach clusters). The early 76 tach clusters also have a single "BRAKE" light at the bottom of the speedometer.

The late 76 clusters are basically the same as the 77 clusters. They have wider "windows" at the bottoms of the speedometer and fuel gauge or tach to accommodate some extra indicator lights (such as a 4 wheel drive light when used).

The early & late 76 gauge clusters are nearly plug-in compatible with one another. Just minor changes to the wiring for those "BRAKE" and "FASTEN BELTS" indicator lights.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote