The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-08-2019, 11:30 AM   #1
67C10Step

Project Scope

So, I am a new member and just got my "project" truck back in May of this year. It is still not really in the project stage, just more of a cleanup, get everything functional, and then move on to road worthy.

I am, however, already starting to think on project scope and what I want in the end. Having been an engineer my whole professional career and having restored a few motorcycles I understand scope creep all too well. At this point I think I know more about what I don't want than what I do.

What I don't want:

- I cannot afford and don't want a $100,000 show truck. I want something to drive.
- I will not allow myself to afford a $50,000 restoration as I would be back in the not wanting to drive it.
- I don't need a 400+ HP truck to smoke tires. I'm not old but I'm getting older every day. My tire smoking days are most likely over.

Some of these things that I don't want have helped me come to terms with what I do want:

- Front disc brake conversion. I did this on my 1970 truck back in my late teens early 20's and the braking will be more than sufficient for my style of driving.
- Getting the stance right. Probably do a modest static drop of 2-3 front and 3-4 rear. I plan on running 15" wheels or possibly 16" max with tires that will nicely fill out the fenders. No 22's with 2" of tire.
- Engine. Jury is still out on this one. Truck has original 283 and I am inclined to freshen up and possibly add a few power adders to this little gem of a motor. It will most likely have all the HP I will want to cruise around.
- Paint. This one is WAAAYYY off but the truck was originally vermillion with fawn interior. I am thinking going back with some sort of vermillion with a silver or charcoal gray roof and interior. Really considering doing a matt vermilion with matt gray or silver. That will probably change a dozen times before it gets done.

Sure, I'd love to dump $50K into this truck and make a show stopper out of it but with one kid in college and another on the way that's not gonna happen. If I can get it rust free, a good paint job, and reliable enough for me and the wife to go grab a burger in it on Saturday night is all I really need.

I'd like to hear how many of you have rationalized your projects at the beginning.
67C10Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 11:46 AM   #2
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

Re: Project Scope

Welcome to the board.

Mine started off with the ambition of it being a show queen. I had owned it since high school and I felt I had driven it enough and wanted a show stopper. Fast forward 25 years and I just want to drive it again. So, the show stopper has turned into a really clean truck I can take the wife to get an ice cream cone in.

As for the budget, I am clearly still going to spend more than I would like. I also have one in college (engineering) and one to go next year. Problem is, I'm a perfectionist and I start out thinking about how I can do something as economical as possible and then by the time its done I either wish I had spent the money on the nicer part or I over work something until it would have been cheaper to start there. So, unless you are in a hurry to get it done then jump in.

And don't assume your smoking tire days are behind you. With the right engine you may rediscover just how fun that was. Best of luck on your build.
1971 C10 Stepside. LSx 6.0 with BTR Stage IV, Speed Engineering Headers, 4L80e transmission w/3200 Circle-D Stall. 3.73. Posi. Purchased this truck when I was 17. I started the rebuild (or take apart) in 1993. I have drug it around all over the country in pieces. Finally back on the road in 2021.

"I can't complain, but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far."
1971Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 11:50 AM   #3
72 tigger

Sounds like you have a pretty good idea of what you want the end product to be. Having a goal/plan that you stick to I feel is the most important part of a project. Seems like "project creep" happens far too often and in the end they are not really happy with the build (too much $ or afraid to leave it in the parking lot at the burger joint). We would like pics of this truck
72 tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 12:17 PM   #4
67C10Step

My son is in engineering school (mechanical) as well. About to head off to his sophomore year. Not sure what my daughter is headed to after this year. Medical/technical seems to be in her future but you never know.

I'm more than just a bit of a perfectionist as well so I have my concerns on getting carried away. Here is a photo of the truck now deemed 'Rusty' just how it looked fresh off the trailer. The PO even let me keep the chain he used to pull it into the barn 10-12 years before I got it from him.

He also threw in fenders for the bed, turbo 400 transmission, spindles and all steering stuff from a 73, power steering pump and sector from 73, brake booster/mc and brackets from the 73 as well.
Attached Images

Old 08-08-2019, 12:22 PM   #5
MDPotter

Welcome! I don't know exactly what condition your truck is in, but it sounds like it has the typical rust, a tired engine, and in need of paint.

When I bought my truck, I planned to fix a couple things and maybe give it a cheap paint job, and it's turned into a frame off restomod with a 400HP LS. I knew I wanted to LS swap it pretty quickly, and that's when it started to snowball. It sounds like you're not doing a swap, so that will help keep the scope creep at bay. I'm in construction, I hear the term "scope creep" almost daily haha. What happened in my case is that I couldn't stop the work anywhere. I didn't want to only paint half the frame, repair only half the rust, or attach any new parts to a rusty surface. I'm a perfectionist as well, so I wanted everything to be rust-free and with a new coating of paint. The idea of piecing things together and getting rid of rust and grease and repainting in spots went against every fiber of my being.

I don't know a lot about SBC's, I'm more into LS. But I don't think there's a lot of opportunity to make a lot of power out of a 283, you just don't have the displacement. You could look for a 350 and keep your budget down, or go for a budget-minded LS swap.

Like 1971Stepside, I miss driving my truck. If you want to keep your budget down, I would stick with a SBC and fix things when you have time/money. A disc brake conversion and rear lowering can be done in a weekend if you do your research and have all the tools and parts you need. If the paint is okay, you can always polish it (original lacquer polishes up great) in a day. There is something to be said for an old truck with some rust and body damage. You can get in it, haul some stuff, and not worry about it getting stolen or scratched. When my truck is done, it will be for cruising, running errands, and driving to work occasionally. Its days of hauling and being out in the rain are over.

EDIT: I see the pictures now. That is a tough choice on bodywork, it's got more rust than I thought. You could buy an Eastwood SCT and strip it yourself and give it a cheap paint job, but if you're a perfectionist it will bother you to not have every side and jamb repainted. Not doing an LS swap will make it a lot cheaper. You will be well under $50k if you stick with a SBC and do all the work yourself.
1978 Chevy Scottsdale K20
1993 Chevy C1500 - 5.3/T56 swapped
2008 Silverado Duramax

Last edited by MDPotter; 08-08-2019 at 12:27 PM.
MDPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 12:39 PM   #6
67C10Step

I had some pretty high hopes for the cab until I stripped the interior out for a good cleaning. Typical rust in one cab corner. Somewhat strange in that both outer rockers look good but the inner rockers/channel is shot. A few holes in the drivers side floor that could be fixed with a patch panel. The concern I have is the rust through I have found all the way up to the vent holes. Makes me think that whole area will be shot. That will probably lead to me just removing the vents altogether when I get to that point. Passenger side door bottom is gone gone. Will have to decide to repair or replace. I don't plan on putting the custom cab trim back on because it will not go well with the stepside bed so all those holes will need to be filled.

Other typical rust is the core support and driver's side inner fender from battery leakage. Thus far the frame I have pressure washed looks very good and should clean up fine if I don't find a surprise or two. I've gotten the engine running and the 3OT transmission shifting good so that is fine for now. Working on brakes so it will stop pulling into and out of the shop.

Paint is almost entirely gone but only surface rust on the front fenders, hood, and roof. The rear fenders I have are for 68-72 so the side markers will need to be filled in. I found one set of good 67 stepside fenders but the guy wanted almost what I paid for this entire truck.

The truck has not been hacked on by the PO's though. Still has the oil bath breather listed on the SPID and while the windshield washer plastic bottle and bracket are gone the glass bottle and bracket are still there.

I am thinking I will do the power disc brake conversion and possibly power steering at the same time. At that point the truck will still be patina but road worthy. I can then start saving my $$ and working on the scope for the body.
Old 08-08-2019, 01:38 PM   #7
68Stepbed

I'd just have a decent paint job done, install a GM crate engine with a Holley sniper EFI system, 700R4 trans, with a 3.42 rear gear. For suspension, just do an ECE 2.5/4 drop and disc brake conversion and call it all done and enjoy it!

68 C10 stepside, LS1/700R4, TCI Engineering suspension system
68Stepbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 02:40 PM   #8
HO455
Post Whore

Your plan is what mine is. Create a nice driver. Spending what is needed to get it reliable while slowing bringing the up to expectations. It sounds like you have a handle on the challenges ahead.
Resisting the urge to pull the body off the frame keeps me from going over the top with a projects. Being a logical guy the phrase " You've gone this far, might as well do that too!" is my down fall.
Good luck! Hope to see more of your project.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 03:50 PM   #9
RustyBucket

I'm old & retired. About 10yrs ago I found & bought a '67 shot bed step side... GOOD cab/bed/ fenders that needed EVERYTHING. I started gathering parts & pieces because I wanted a big block stick shift toy truck. At the same time I was enjoying the 2wd. Blazer & had bought the Nova drag car. The Nova wore me out.. both time & money fixing broken parts every time it went to the track. The '67 truck sat covered in junk in the shop. Fast forward 4yrs. & my wife & I were in her van one day at the gas station. At the next pump the previous owner was buying gas for a '71 GMC short/step with a for sale sign on the dash. It was NOT a slant nose, small window '67 w/a BB & a stick, but it WAS a pretty rust free, nice interior, good paint, A/C, p.s, p.disc brake, O.D. trans, nice driver condition truck. We came to terms on the price & I've been driving and enjoying it for 6++ yrs. I'm sure that including the purchase price & some changes I've made I've still spent a lot less money on the '71. I do understand it's not all about the money. I don't enjoy working on stuff like I used to. I Sold the '67 + made a little money... lost my A$$ on the Nova race car. Decided I'm too old n lazy for HUGE projects.
here's the '67 when I brought it home:
Attached Images

Current toy trucks:
'71 GMC 1500 SUPER CUSTOM short/step, orig. dk. blue, 350/700r, ps,pb, A/C
'72 Blazer 2wd, ochre & white, 454, tremecTKO 500 5spd. ps, pb, A/C, tilt

Last 10yrs of hobby vehicles, had a FEW more in the 50yrs. before these:
'66 Plymouth Belvedere City of Miami cop car clone.
'70 Nova 406"sb, 13.5-1, solid roller, Brodix, p.glide/t.brake, back halved, 9" Ford, spool 4.88, cage,ladder bar/coilover, 10.5 tire....... SOLD!!
'67 C10 short/step side mount spare -- SOLD!!
'72 Jimmy 2wd, 350/350, ps, pb, fun driver, lots of bondo & a shiny red paint job..... SOLD!!
'69 Nova 350, 4spd, A/C, ps, p.b, ...SOLD!!
RustyBucket is offline   Reply With Quote