The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-17-2021, 07:49 PM   #1
mschwader

Roof Repair Help Needed

Looking to repair the roof above my windshield on my ‘62. Can anyone give me some suggestions? I’ve found outer patch piece for 60-62 and inner patch for newer years. Is there an inner available for ‘60-62 somewhere that I haven’t found yet?
Posted via Mobile Device
mschwader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 08:25 PM   #2
bsarts

Re: Roof Repair Help Needed

They don't make an inner for the 60-63s. I was able to use a 64-66 piece because I didn't need it to go all the way across. I just cut one end of it off and welded in what I needed.
bsarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 09:21 PM   #3
cwcarpenter98

I am going to do what bsarts did. I purchased those two aftermarket pieces, but I also have big holes in the corners that no one reproduces. I was able to source the corners from a donor cab that was getting cut up. I got both inner and outer corners from the donor cab. I also got the entire new roof panel since the old one has several pinholes and a plethora of dents that I don't want to fool with

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, Muncie 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350 --> Soon to be 350, Saginaw 4 speed

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 09:45 PM   #4
mschwader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsarts View Post
They don't make an inner for the 60-63s. I was able to use a 64-66 piece because I didn't need it to go all the way across. I just cut one end of it off and welded in what I needed.
Hoping I can do the same as well. Removing windshield next week. Hoping I don't find too much rot towards the outside.
mschwader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 10:28 PM   #5
62c30

I am getting ready to fix the same thing on my 61. I bought the outer panel and inner for 64-66. The outer looks almost like a perfect fit, the inner really doesn’t have the correct or any curve to it. I’m getting the inside and maybe the whole cab blasted before I start to repair it in case there is anything else hiding. The blaster is about a month out so I’m going to try to locate a good cab from the dash up and maybe replace the A pillars since mine have lots of rust. If I can’t get a good donor I’ll use the patch panels I bought and a couple of parts from a donor that are not very good and just try to get it all to fit.
62c30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 11:33 AM   #6
bsarts

I was able to make the inner corner work on one end by pounding and welding it into place.
Attached Images

bsarts is offline   Reply With Quote