The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-23-2012, 07:35 AM   #1
m455sx

62 Turnsignal Switch help

Have a problem with the turn signal Switch. Weekend before last i remove the idiot lights and installed factory gauges. All during the week i would check and make sure evrything was working properly. last week end i drove for about 10 miles and hit the left turn signal and it worked great. Next turn i hit the right turn signal and the it seemed at the time the truck was on fire. I pulled over and cut the truck off and it stopped smoking. I restarted the truck and everything seemed fine but now i have no signals and lost a brake light( could be coincidence). It appears the red wire coming straight from fuse block to turnsignal switch burned into at the switch. Can some one let me know what would cause that?

Also attached is diagram and some photos and was wondering if anyone can explain what wires go where.

Dark Blue is turn signal
Light blue turn signal
Red goes ?
Yellow goes ?

The above four wire are in an Harness which goes back to the Factory instrumant panel.

Additional wires are
Top center red wires goes to fuse block and was the one that caught fire.
Bottom center wire goes the the back of what appears to be the brake light switch.

Also is there supposed be a specail connetor instead individual wires and if so can someone sell me one.

Lastly the back of the turn signal switch is a steel cable attached what is that for?
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf 62 turm signal.pdf (110.3 KB, 379 views)

1970 442 convertible
1970 Cutlass SX
1962 Chevy Stepside
2011 GMC 3500HD Crewcab SLT DRW
m455sx is offline   Reply With Quote