The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-11-2004, 11:04 AM   #1
greatdaen

Pics of my '56 GMC

I am a newbie to this forum, but wanted to share my ride.

This 1956 GMC WideWindow was put together in the early 80's - back when I was in Highschool. I have just been enjoying it ever since. I remember hearing so many times as a kid this standard quip: "I wish I had never sold my ....." So I planned to keep my and give it to one of my kids some day. Well, I've managed to keep it for 20+ years so far.

This was to be my "drive to school" vehicle. I got it as a freshman. It was going to be a project of a stereo, fat tires, a little paint, and one of those chrome feet that attach to the gas peddle. Well, my nature has always been to dismantle all the way, and this project was no different. I ended up driving my mom's car, taking the bus and bumming rides from friends through all of highschool. I finally drove it in primer my senior year a little bit.

It started life as a typical I-6, 4-speed, 6-Volt truck. It suffered from the usual rust problems only worse because it had spent part of its life in Salt Lake City. I lived in a small town in Western Montana and had no experience. Our ranch had a pretty good shop for a ranch - that means we had more than bailing wire and nails. Tools were a typical set of Craftsman hand tools. And we had a torch and an AC buzz box welder - and my dad was a very good welder.

I took the truck down to the frame. It received a 283 Chevy small block and a '67 Chevelle donated its 12-bolt rear and a Saginaw 4-speed. I always planned on putting in a Muncie - when I had some money - but it never happened. I don't drive it hard anymore so the Saginaw works just fine.

We began collecting parts - these trucks didn't have much popularity in the early 80's, so you could still find some junkers around for cheap. The lear fender had the spare tire cutout. Found a '57 Chevy with a great box. The cab had bad rust in the hinge pockets and the back corners. Found a '56 GMC narrow window long box that had a cab in great shape. We had a good friend that owned a body shop. I pushed a broom one summer for him and he did some work. We cut the cab off in the middle of the A-pillars in front and at floor level in the rear. We put the Wide Window top section onto the narrow window bottom section and stitched it back up. RUST GONE!

Fenders and glass came from a combination of the three trucks.

The engine recieved a mild rebuild - 0.030 bore, better heads, Corvette stock cam, LT1 Manifold, Holly 4bbl.

Added a tilt column from a '63 Cadillac, the gear shift handle is the emergency brake lever from a '29 Buick road car. We swapped the front drums to late 50's Chevy car to match the 5-bolt pattern on the rear 12-bolt (direct swap). The farm truck had been a 12-volt truck with electric wipers. Used that wiring system and converted to an Alternator.

Paint (although it looks brownish in the pictures) is Yamaha Ruby Red - a beautiful candy apply affair.

Well its time to go to work, but I'll fill in some blanks later.

Enjoy.

-dch
Attached Images

greatdaen is offline   Reply With Quote