The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-25-2004, 01:30 PM   #11
greatdaen

Suspension Geometry

I see the general approach to the front suspension mods is to put the lCA pivot way inboard and keep the UCA pivot outboard of the frame rail.

I know this makes the fabrication easier, but I wanted to just throw out an image of the suspension geometry. As you can see from the image below, the short UCA / long LCA causes the King Pin axis angle to traverse through a much more severe angle than the alternate long UCA / short LCA.

I suppose with this low of a ride, you never get going fast enough to need the control, but the name of the game in steering control is to keep as much of the tire patch on the ground as possible. And you do that by keeping the king pin axis as vertical as possible throughout the suspension travel.

The alternate approach would require the UCA pivots to be inboard of the frame and they would be competing for real estate with engine components. But it can be done - I have seen it.

This is just FYI/food for thought for the guy still in the planning stages - if all you want is looks - do the easy thing. If you want to have a suspension design that works as good as it looks, then....

-dch
Attached Images

greatdaen is offline   Reply With Quote