The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-09-2016, 08:08 AM   #1
64stpside

My 64 needs your help.....

Hey guys, Ive been working and working on this truck to get her going again and friday night I made another test drive but didn't make it more than a block away and had to come back home. It was popping through the carb and was very sluggish on acceleration. The truck has a late 70s 305 with a 4 barrel carb. I have installed a rebuilt mid to late 70s quadrajet, changed the intake gaskets and put a skip white racing HEI distributor w/adjustable vacc advance about a week ago. The timing was set to 10 deg with vac hose undone, just to start. I'm on manifold vac. When I got back, I set the timing back down to 6 deg but it seemed to run rougher. Then I started pushing the gas pedal down about 1/2 way over and over real quick and it wanted to die. Give it 1 good hit and it does o.k.
What I can't figure out is do I have a fuel or ignition issue? The only thing I haven't checked is my fuel pressure (I'll do that tonight). If my fuel pressure is good, what should I check next?
64stpside is offline   Reply With Quote