The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-04-2022, 08:52 PM   #1
nikwho

Thoughts on my cam and intake choice? Okay, my converter, too!

Hello all,
I grenaded my 383 and have a +0.040" over 350 that I am building for my '59. It's a weekend cruiser/hot rod. Has Camaro subframe, QA1 tubular control arms, 4 wheel disc brakes, Helwig fat sway bar, Hotchkiss dual rate coils, Bilstein shocks up front, Viking coilovers in the rear. Has a built Currie 9", 4.10 R&P, built TH350, 2,800 stall converter.

4 bolt block, forged pistons, 357 cubic inches. +5cc relief pistons, 0.010" deck, 0.039" compressed head gasket with 4.060" bore. IIRC, this put me at around 10.6:1 compression with my 64cc chamber Dart Pro 1 heads. 200cc intake runners. I live at 6,800' ASL, but venture to lower elevations periodically. 650 cfm Quick Fuel w/ mechanical secondaries. I have an MSD HEI, Accel shorty header plugs, 4 heat range. I have 1.5:1 and 1.6:1 full roller rockers, so can run either, or play with mixed sets. Truck has 1 5/8" mid length Heddman headers, 3" mandrel bent exhaust, with dual 3" Flowmasters and 3" crossover "H" pipe, and electric cutouts right after the headers.

Camshaft: HFT, 234° (i)/244° (e) advertised, @ 0.50".
Advertised Duration:
303 int./313 exh.

Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio:
0.487 int./0.508 exh.

LSA is 114°. I chose this, because I run power brakes, and want to pull enough vacuum to operate them. I have a vacuum reservoir, if needed.

Cam specs say 3,000-6,500 RPM. I figure with my 2,800 stall converter and 4.11 gears, I should be in pretty good shape there.

Regarding intake manifolds, I have a Weiand "X-Cellerator" single plane intake AND an Edlebrock Performer RPM, along with 1"-3" spacers to play with.

I was planning on 36°-38° of total timing. I run 91 octane ethanol free fuel.

Thoughts? Obviously I'll give up a little on the bottom running the single plane, AND the 114° Lobe Separation Angle, but will turn some RPM with the 4.11 gears. I have the Performer RPM, but think that this might be a combo that would like the single plane?

I added the pictures for interest. Last picture shows the aforementioned Weiand single plane intake. It's mounted and ready to fire to break this combo in. Rotating assembly has 800 miles on build. Cam has no miles. I haven't fired yet, as I haven't confirmed the springs pressures that are in the Dart Pro-1 heads. If I am not mistaken, they're these heads came with springs for a mechanical/solid flat tappet cam.

I will likely swap to a roller cam before too long. Just had everything to pit this together, so here's what I got.
Attached Images